A dealer story for you...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Milt said:
BeGreen said:
Milt, I think you have done all the right things. It will be a safe install with a liner. Have you firmly decided on the VC Encore or is this still up to debate?

I am looking at Jotul toploaders as we type back and forth.

Sounds good. Though it may be heresy to some, I would also look outside of top loaders. What is most important is easy to light and run heat that remains reliable and easy to maintain over time. Top loading is not necessary for this operation. Indeed, for precise placement of big splits, it's a bit of a nuisance.

sounds like a place for the new jotul rangeley ...or what ever that place in maine is called

All New Jotul stoves as well some Lopi and a few others are approved for connection to a zc fireplace. I and several others on here have Jotuls run in this manner. You do need a liner and proper clearances must be observed but this install can be made safely and is done on a regular basis by many reputable installers.
Joe

Interestingly enough, the fireplace dealer just called asking if he could deliver the stove to the hearth right now. Said that he had no idea who had told me that it just gets dropped off in the driveway.

Gets more and more interesting.

Milt said:
Interestingly enough, the fireplace dealer just called asking if he could deliver the stove to the hearth right now. Said that he had no idea who had told me that it just gets dropped off in the driveway.

Tell them you'll take it for less now.
md

Lighting Up said:
Milt said:

Tell them you'll take it for less now.
md

Agreed!

Capitalism solves another problem. Vote early and often--with your wallet! :coolgrin:

Milt said:

Perhaps a Hearth.com reader?

This would have been funny except for a couple of things, the stove is sitting in the driveway as they promised, but they are coming back to get it tomorrow. In transit, some days ago judging from the looks of things, the stove fell over on the doors, breaking the door handle off, chipping a bunch of paint off the doors, breaking one of the windows, and knocking a whopping big piece of enamel off the right side of the top, and the rock work on the inside is all busted up and against the glass. These guys came, without ever having looked at the stove, unloaded it, a section of flex liner, some insulation, and a clean out tee for a solid insulated pipe without any way of connecting the flex to it. They almost got a hernia unloading a busted stove, and now they have to get it back up into the back of a Chevrolet pickup. %-P

They will be picking up the clean out tee as well, since I can't make any use of it. Hopefully they will get their act together. If not, I ain't paying them. The three stooges pale in comparison.

Retired Guy said:
Milt said:
The three stooges pale in comparison.

I'm a Three Stooges fan - they weren't nearly that bad.

Well, I suppose I did exaggerate a little bit. But there were only two of them, if there had been three, (the guy at the office counts too, but he was not on site), the exaggeration would not apply, and they would be a better stupid act than Curly, Larry, and Moe.

There is cheap help and then there is good help. Good help is never inexpensive. From the condition you reported that stove in it should never have left their shop. It is the busy time for them but that is still no excuse. I think you might want to be on them like a tick on a deer, with a code book in hand. It is , after all, your home and safety that is at stake here. If anything seems funky question the ____ out of it or have the Fire Marshall/ building inspector come and take a look. That makes it real tuff for them to blow it off. This particular company sounds like a problem waiting to happen, the surprising thing is that the 1/2 doz dealers we have in our area have been in business for a fair amount of time. Maybe a wake up call to WISN (ch6) is in order?

Status
Not open for further replies.