A few install questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Osburn Matrix insert and I have a few install related questions. The insert is going into a one story house and routed up an interior masonry 12x12 chimney via 6" SS liner. It's only 12' from the top of the chimney to the top of the insert. Pics of house, fireplace, etc are here. So on to the questions:

1. Is 12-13' long enough for a decent draft? The Matix manual recommends 1' of rigid liner above the top of the chimney.
  2. Is it worth the aggravation/expense of rigid vs flexible? It's about 9' straight down, then a 30 degree slant for 1-2 feet and then down a foot to the top of the insert. I could probably do 9-10' of rigid and 3' of flex.
  3. I see lots of people referencing flue temps... have an IR thermometer, but the flue will concealed by the flush insert. I looked around a bit for flue probes but they all seem to poke right into the flue and have a dial gauge which I would not be able to see. Are there remote ones? I made a BBQ smoker that uses probe thermometers but I think they max at like 500 degrees.
  4. With a bit of cajoling I could conceivably hook up an outside air kit for the stove... what's the benefit here? You're not using your already warmed house air for combustion? Worth the trouble?

12' is not recommended. However, each install can be different. For instance, that is about all we have and our stove runs great. Normally though, you would want about 15' minimum.

An OAK can be great and with a short chimney would definitely help. If you have a dryer in the house or use exhaust fans much, this could certainly cause problems with the draft but with an OAK that would not be a factor. Also, with an OAK, you would not have a drafty floor.

Sounds like the OAK will help, but do I have any other options for helping with draft other than increasing the length? Make sure it's insulated? Have it stick out the top of the chimney a few feet? Not really keen on that idea... maybe I should just put it in and see how it does before I go crazy.

For sure the added length would help. Making sure it is insulated is correct.

Good luck Jeff.

Well I did lots of reading and it sounds like the outside air kit is worth the effort, especially with such a short chimney run.

Any feedback on how to measure flue temps with the flush insert, or if that's even important?

About the only way would be a probe. I would not worry about it and just go ahead and burn. You can regulate a lot just by looking at the fire. Trust your own judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.