1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

A little eye candy...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Lifted4x4Astro, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Gravel is good.

We use to stack wood on gravel and it didn't get wet...picked up stones though. Now we pile our wood on gravel and they can get as high as Lifted4x4Astro's but there's no fear of a catastrophic collapse but occasionally 5-6 pieces will avalanche. The gravel lets the water pass threw it. What you see sits on gravel in the fall we cover it.

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro New Member

Loc:
    New Haven, NY
    The snow doesn't impede access. :coolsmile: I plow right up to it and down beside the lean-to. That is part of the reason for building it there. Now the stacks out back become inaccessible come January/February.

Do you mean the wood itself or the lean-to?
  3. Jambruins

Jambruins New Member

Loc:
    Chazy, NY
    why is the wood on the ends stacked in that pattern? I have seen other people do this and am curious? Thanks.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    nice woodpiles guys
  5. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    that is some impressive wood action going on right there (both of you's). Now...if I can just get that piece on the bottom out.....
  6. Lifted4x4Astro

Loc:
    New Haven, NY
    It is stacked that way so it will support its own weight. The 2x4's are there just "in case" I stacked last years wood the same way without criss-crossing the ends and it put a TON of weight on the 2x4's and I was afraid they would break. I split the stacks in the center because I will grab the section in front towards the drive way first. This was stacked in March so it will be seasoned first. As the rows go down, I remove the 2x4's and eventually can back the truck right in to move the wood to the cellar.
  7. Lifted4x4Astro

Loc:
    New Haven, NY
    Just want to update. I bought a cheap meter from Harbor Freight and I pulled a piece from the front stack under the lean-to and one piece from a stack out back. They both read 21-22% moisture. The first piece was C/S/S by the 1st of April and the other piece was done around the 1st of May and is the direct sun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.