A little help please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the bent toe plate, years ago SpeeCo had switched to a design that used less material in that plate, but they soon found out that it wasn't strong enough. They have since gone back to having a beefy reinforced toe plate that doesn't seem to have any issues.

Yep, I got one of the weak ones. It got replaced with the same. :( Just got a welder a few months ago so I plan to reinforce it. It's held up fine since then, though. That oak I was splitting was like iron.

Reactions: TreePointer
I'll make coffee.
maple seasons rather readily - you could probably wait util May in Mi, but then a cold Summer would make you wish you had stuck to your November schedule- plus you don't get rounds buried under snow for months insulated fro the environment.
given that the USA has seven climate zones generalized statements about any one of them might have little value outside that one.

Not surprising some folks up in Maine don't have much patience for oak: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr121.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Batman
Status
Not open for further replies.