A new model DR H/V Splitter? Any good? comments?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is many ways to look at it and in the end if you can afford the 1200 or 1300 which you already said is no problem you won't go wrong with the Huskee. I can tell you I love my 22 t Huskee and after owning it for a couple years now I would not be without. I have rented before and spent many years doing all my splitting with a monster maul. It is really nice to just get it out and spend whatever amount of time I want to on my schedule not someone elses.
That's what I'm thinking Locust Post, I have a lot of red oak that still needs to be cut down with a chain saw, I have limited time to do my processing, that is why I am opting for buying, I have wood for this year, so I can work liesurly instead of forcing it because of the rental....

Reactions: Locust Post
You an sell a face cord for a hundred bucks to bring down the price...

I know I would never pay $100 for a face, but maybe I'm just spoiled by the EAB:p

People here on this forum would not, but people who work, have kids, not alot of time, no desire to pick up wood off of the street, swing an ax and a have a fireplace would. They sell little bundles at the supermarket and gas stations for 10 bucks...

Let me ask you guys an interesting question regarding your splitters:

Last night I was in Lowes, and noticed they had a few Troy built units on the floor as I walked by. So I checked them out. They had a 27 ton and a 33 ton. I noticed they did a really cool thing, they offset the beams to one side of the wheel base. The other side held all the equipment (motor, pump, hoses...). So you end up with a alot of space on the one side to work, and load logs onto the beam. The tire/axel was not sticking out in your way. This seamed genouis, and looked to be very functional and I say no downside to it. The only problem is, the 27 ton (the size and price unit I would have been interested in), did not have a full lenght beam as you folks have mentioned to look for. The 33 did, but was too big and expensive more me. But it got me thinking....

So the question is, does your tire get in your way at times? I have noticed some units have the tire sticking out dead smack in the middle of the loading area of the beam, making it so you would have to step around the tire constantly, or reach over it to load the log. Thoughts on this?

EDIT: I"M GOING TO START A NEW THREAD WITH THIS QUESTION AND ANOTHER ABOUT RIGHT OR LEFT SIDE controls!

This sounds like a horizontal splitting question. I've never had the wheels get in the way when splitting vertically.

Reactions: Bster13
On a side note, when looking a while ago for a picture of my Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter, it doesn't appear as if they make gas-powered splitters anymore!

Harbor Frieght doesn't "make" anything. They sell stuff, and some of it comes OEM'ed, so if you have a HF "labeled" splitter, it was made by somebody else, most likely in China. ;)

But no, they don't sell any gas splitters....

Status
Not open for further replies.