A nice full stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being that the stove is a PE, it'll probably only last 50 or 60 years if I keep running it that way.:lol:
Don't forget, it's made out of 3/8" plate steel.

:coolsmile:

Well guys, I can't fit nearly as much wood in my DW. But on this load tonight, I'll get about 10-11 hours between reloads and without a match restart. Notice the big rectangular oak split in the middle surrounded by a maple round and small splits. The bed of coals is pretty deep, but the flash killed the glow. Now in the deep of the colder winter I stuff it with almost twice as much wood. The stove looks really small in this picture, but the firebox has a 2 cubic foot capacity. If strategically stuffed! But keep in mind the LG. DW is only rated to heat 1600 sq ft. unlike the monsters of the world of stoves like the PE Summit.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 375
ziggy19 said:
5 hr burn for all that wood? I see lots of people posting burn times like 8 hrs, I just installed my Drolet Eastwood and the most we put in is 3 or 4 pieces (15 lbs total) and we get about 3-4 hrs tops. How do you guys get 8 hr burn times? seems I need to leave the draft open a little or it will smolder and smoke. Do you guys get 8 hrs with no visible smoke coming out of your chiminey?

1) Don't forget, in my case that was all Poplar. Some was probably a bit "punky" because it has been around a while. In Nova Scotia, you probably have access to more hardwood (lucky you). :)

2) 15 LB. of wood burned in 4 hours gives ~32,250 BTU Gross. Drolet claims the stove to be 71% efficient. 71% of 32,250 is around 22,900 btu./Hr.

3) If I loaded a few very large pieces of Oak onto a HOT bed of coals, and turned it down, it might give me 8 or 9 hours. I'm burning some Ash right now, and I find that sometimes I need to leave the draft open a bit. With Poplar, I can have the control turned right down. Try keeping some larger wood to load onto a bed of hot coals for an overnight burn.

4) If you need to have the draft open a bit to keep the flames going, then do it. It will work best if you don't let it smoulder. You'll have to figure out how low you can go with the draft and still have some flames.

5) Smoke? I get some on cold startup, 15 to 30 minutes.The baffle needs to be hot for the secondary combustion to really start, so this is un-avoidable. On a hot re-load, maybe 5 minutes of smoke at most. Sometimes I can leave the draft closed when I re-load, other times I have to open it and let it get started, then gradually turn it down. Most of my burn is without smoke. I live in town, so I don't want to smoke out the neighbourhood.

6) The Summits and Super 27's are known for their ability to burn clean, even on low draft settings. This might be because the baffle is fairly well insulated, allowing it to stay hot enough for good secondary burning. I don't know what the Eastwood is like, so I can't really say.

7) I have an aunt and uncle who live near Pictou, and they love it. They heat with a small Jotul.

VCBurner, 11 hours from that much wood is pretty respectable. That big piece of oak will definitely help. Roughly how many #'s of wood would you say was in there?

Danno77 said:
Where the heck are the graphs and charts with this. someone please plug this into excel for me. I want to see some of this data in a format like I did on my stove a while back.

Sounds good to me. That "someone" won't be me as I'm not good with that stuff. If you talk REAL nice to BeGreen, he might do it if he has time....:lol:

I think that BG uses Lotus 123 or Quatro. No, wait, do you remember VisiCalc? I'm pretty sure that's his go-to spreadsheet program. Here's a quick way to tell if you are old: what's WYSIWYG mean? Means nothing to me, though. I'm not old.

Jimbob said:
VCBurner, 11 hours from that much wood is pretty respectable. That big piece of oak will definitely help. Roughly how many #'s of wood would you say was in there?
Well, maybe 20? I would never be able to get it to last like that with cold temps but we had temps high in the mid-upper 40's. I guess between 5-9C. But, I agree, it heats very well in the shoulder season with very little wood. Another important factor is the heated space is currently 1000 sq ft in a single story ranch. Not an open layout! Next year we will have to heat 2000 with all the renovations. I am very impressed with this little guy though, what a wood saver especially in this mild weather. I got 14 hours out of a full box the other day with matchless restart. No wonder the BK owners get such long times with those huge fireboxes. Must be nice to have a big boy like the Summit, though.

Oh yeah, the Summit is nice. Essential in a climate like this, especially since the stove is in the basement. I need all the firebox cu.ft. I can get. :blank:

Danno77 said:
I think that BG uses Lotus 123 or Quatro. No, wait, do you remember VisiCalc? I'm pretty sure that's his go-to spreadsheet program. Here's a quick way to tell if you are old: what's WYSIWYG mean? Means nothing to me, though. I'm not old.

I know WYSIWYG. So I guess I am old.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
I know WYSIWYG. So I guess I am old.

Shawn
LoL, Shawn. You must be. the only other option is that you are a computer nerd. You're not a computer nerd, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.