A Question about dating a Jotul stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I recently purchased a used Jotul F 3CB wood stove.

View attachment 197370

Cosmetically it is good,
Structurally it is good, no broken castings or damage, good glass, soft gaskets, etc.

The burn plates are all there and are not warped, cracked or damaged in any way.

I do have concerns, the "label" that identifies the model, safe combustible set backs, etc found on wood stoves is not there.

Q. What year were labels required on solid fuel devices?

Jotul made this stove in its current design form from 1995 to today.

Most of the castings have part numbers but no dates except for the upper heat shield, post combustion air jets. This one has a casting date of 10 8 00 which by European terms is August 10, 2000.

Is this a manufacture date of the part? A manufacture date of the mold? Are new units being delivered with that casting date?

If it is a manufacture date of the part, how far ahead do they make parts?

I'm guessing my unit is a 2000 or a 2001 unit.....

View attachment 197371

View attachment 197372

Thanks for any opinions or help!

Dave

Your 3CB looks exactly like mine, which I purchased new in 1998. Great stove! Have been burning steady and have not had to replace a thing excluding gaskets. My stove came with a heat shield attached to the back side. This shield allowed for close clearance, 6 inch I believe. This shield also has all the aforementioned labels attached. I would suspect when your stove was new it had this sheet metal shield which has since been removed. If you search out a Jotul parts list for this stove it may list the heat shield.

Even though I've never dated a Jotul, I was going to suggest being a gentleman and paying for dinner. You just might get a second date, and who knows where it could lead. ;)

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Looks to be a Blue Black Jotul F3CB prob born around the early 2000's. This one had the silver round "egg" for the ash door and the bar across the glass area arches. The present model has a wooden ash door handle She does look to be in nice condition. One thing tho, is the rear heat shield outer metal piece silver? If so, someone may have taken the back shield off for something and put the listing plate on the inside. I've seen it done at the store. Two brass caps hold the back shield in place. Jotul does not put the mfr date on their listing label, but model and clearances, the ul testing cert is listed. If you do find the label the sn can in general tell the date of Mfr, but you'd need to call Jotul. Also, yes the castings for all Jotuls are made in Norway and shipped to America for assembly. Their gas stoves sold here were always assembled in Maine, their wood stoves started assembly here last year I believe.

Looks to be a Blue Black Jotul F3CB prob born around the early 2000's. This one had the silver round "egg" for the ash door and the bar across the glass area arches. The present model has a wooden ash door handle She does look to be in nice condition. One thing tho, is the rear heat shield outer metal piece silver? If so, someone may have taken the back shield off for something and put the listing plate on the inside. I've seen it done at the store. Two brass caps hold the back shield in place. Jotul does not put the mfr date on their listing label, but model and clearances, the ul testing cert is listed. If you do find the label the sn can in general tell the date of Mfr, but you'd need to call Jotul. Also, yes the castings for all Jotuls are made in Norway and shipped to America for assembly. Their gas stoves sold here were always assembled in Maine, their wood stoves started assembly here last year I believe.

Great info!
Thanks!
There is a rectangular spot where the label once was on the heat shield.......

Dave