A thick haze

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I'm a truck driver I do the same run everyday. Last night I came into a haze then realized it was smoke.
I could see that it was coming from a home. I don't know if it was a brush pile or a stove. I saw it
Tuesday night but it wasn't as thick. I guess if its like that tonight I will have my answer. I just keep
thinking. man I hope thats not coming from a house.

We have a few old style OWB users around here that burn green wood and they can haze out a quarter section or more (1/2 mile square). The nearest one to me a 1/2 mile away and thankfully the winds don't usually blow over this way.

One fall coming home from our last run to town [we are snowed in most years] we could see a pillar of smoke. It looked about 10km from us. We speeded up as it looked like the Jones who live about 25km from us. We got to their place just as the house was collapsing from the fire. All we could do is tell them we would unload our truck at home and be back with 2 trucks to get what they needed for the winter. They had many outbuildings and made one into a temp home for the winter. We all went to town and got all the supplies they wanted. My wife gave them 10 cases of home grown canned food. We came down for about 2 weeks to help build but then the snow got to deep for the trucks. We did go down in the snow cat a few times but I do not use the cat for work as its our winter safety vehicle. That summer they finished building their "new" log home. Ever since then we have kept our outdoor kitchen as a backup in case we had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.