A Very impressive stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Well after my Summit problems, I decided to grab my Dad's new Englander 30 from his cabin and break it in at my house. I had to adjust and add a couple of elbows for clearance purposes and move my hearth protector a little but three days ago I was firing it up. After the first couple of burns, I opened her up and man can she burn. Yes, I have noticed some parts are a little cheaper than an Avalon, Summit, or Quad but what a beauty for the price (449.00). I have had OK coals in the morning using just three splits at night and these splits were already burning for a while, again very impressive. I have noticed the glass does not stay as clean as my Summit but I am sure this is because I am still figuring out this stove. I have noticed wonderful secondary burns when I burn east/west. I am still figuring out which way it burns better. It seems to burn hotter north/south but a nicer burn (at least for me) east/west.

The front "shelf" just above the ash pan is really hot and it catches my hand all time when adjusting the draft control but again for the the price I am not complaining. It does not need the EBT because I have not seen any unburned fuel in the morning, just reach in and move some hot coals to the front, Viola put in some seasoned splits... I do agree that it is difficult to "turn this stove down", unless it is just about all the way closed (seems to burn hot). That is OK in my book, just takes some tinkering and you can make it work no problem.

I do miss my Summit, it is sitting in my garage until I can figure out what is going on. My Dad is very understanding of my problems and my love for wood stoves so he said there is no rush with his new stove. He also said we could put his old stove back in the cabin if we need to (letting me keep it longer).

I like the fact that you can get get side heat shields, wish they came free but I am sure it is not very expensive. Even at the recommended clearances, which are 4 times more than the Summit, I still notice that the walls are a little hotter with the Englander. Again no biggie if you adjust it properly.

I have not even given it the dollar bill test or stuffed it for a good long burn yet so I am thinking this stove will impress me more later on. The ash pan is small, well at least smaller than my Summit (of course most are smaller than my Summit) and there is no trap door opener from the front like the Summit. You have to grab the hook with your fire tool and pull it open, then rake the ashes in the pan. This is fine and once again for 449.00, just having the ash pan is wonderful.

All in all, I love the fact that the Englander gives people pretty much all they want in a stove, available big firebox, good overnight burns, nice cheap-priced options (unlike Avalon or Summit), and a nice viewing area to watch it burn.

Bravo England Stove Works Inc!

Same chimney, new stove, no odor?

JFK said:
All in all, I love the fact that the Englander gives people pretty much all they want in a stove, available big firebox, good overnight burns, nice cheap-priced options (unlike Avalon or Summit), and a nice viewing area to watch it burn. Bravo England Stove Works Inc!

I second that,bravo

northwinds said:
Same chimney, new stove, no odor?

Same everything except I added 2 elbows to bring it farther away from the corner. So far so good, I am still curring it, little by little. I am waiting for the wife and little guy to be at work and daycare so I can rip it again, nice 800-900F. So far though, it runs nice at 400-450F stovetop temp and no real smell. Time will tell but I really like this stove. Still miss the fire beast Summit but for now the Englander or Summers Heat (whatever you want to call it....) is a nice replacement.

Well good to hear you can heat without that terrible odor...and the price is right too. As far as keeping the glass clean...in the morning when the glass is cooler wipe it down with a paper towel using bottled water. Tap water may leave hard water marks...bottled water is filtered. Of course you'll need to use leather gloves too.

I have had good luck with windex but I guess I have been spoiled by never needing to do it with my Summit. I think I can figure a way to burn it so the airwash system works better. I going to try bottled water too
Thanks

Be careful, somebody here said that if the Windex contained ammonia it would cloud the glass...I dunno. but a little bottled water to wet the towel keeps my glass like new.

I was glad to hear of your experience with the Englander. It certainly seems like a decent stove for the price. Does anyone sell these on-line? Unfortunately, the HD's, Lowe's and TSC have none in stock and don't expect any until fall. I e-mailed Englander and they said sorry but I'll have to wait until then... It seems amazing to me that you just can't buy one from mid-spring until fall... (I'm in south eastern, CT by the way).

MikeC5 said:
I was glad to hear of your experience with the Englander. It certainly seems like a decent stove for the price. Does anyone sell these on-line? Unfortunately, the HD's, Lowe's and TSC have none in stock and don't expect any until fall. I e-mailed Englander and they said sorry but I'll have to wait until then... It seems amazing to me that you just can't buy one from mid-spring until fall... (I'm in south eastern, CT by the way).

go here and look at this; you can order through this site for 799.00 free shipping. the unit is labeled as a "timberridge" unit , but its the same 30. hope this is helpful

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

Sounds like a great value in a stove JFK. After buning it a few more times you should know more about it. If the smell goes away then you for sure know there is something going on with your Summit. You had better hurry up with your burns as it is getting warmer and warmer outside each day. :)

JFK said:
I have had good luck with windex but I guess I have been spoiled by never needing to do it with my Summit. I think I can figure a way to burn it so the airwash system works better. I going to try bottled water too
Thanks

Hard water is caused by mineral deposits in the water. If you mean "distilled water", you are correct, pure, no depsts. Plain bottled water off the shelf in your grocery store is right out of the ground and depending on the source will have many times more mineral content than municipal tap water. Not chlorinated for bacteria either, Ugghhh, I don't know why people spend good money on the junk....

Glad to hear you like your new stove.

An awful lot of the water on the grocer's shelves here is reverse osmosis. Not much of anything in it.
We may not want to know the source supply. :)

I stand corrected. I do recall that I have seen that listed very occassionally on water bottles here. But not often. Maybe the rules are different south of the border.

Anway, back to the thread topic, I've had great success with just plain damp newspaper dipped in a little ash. A couple of times of year I use a commercial stove glass cleaner I got at my local stove shop, but nasty stuff, it's full of lye, so gloves are neccessary and I only use it when things get really bad, which is not often with my Summit.

An awful lot of the water on the grocer’s shelves here is reverse osmosis

Water produced by R O is called "Dead Water"...ever taste it? I have drank lots of RO water and never tasted it....Mike

mtarbert said:
An awful lot of the water on the grocer’s shelves here is reverse osmosis

Water produced by R O is called "Dead Water"...ever taste it? I have drank lots of RO water and never tasted it....Mike

All right, now we're officially OT. RO doesn't taste like anything because there's nothing in it. It is like distilled water, but could still have bacteria. My sister had to put in an RO system as their well tested high for nitrates and is apparently a common problem in rural areas. All that fertilizer and bovine residue...

I hate the idea of bottled water also, especially now that they have identified something in the plastic that contributes to cancer. The tons of plastic that go into these bottles is also a problem. Many bottled waters are from municipal water sources and may be cleaner than what you are getting out of the ground. It is usually processed to make sure it is clean.

Chris

Yep, way off topic. Water is a really important subject. How about starting a fresh thread in the green room?

Sorry, I just got off of a thread with raybonz on water softeners in the DIY forum. It'll never happen again!

DO like that Englander though...

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.