? about Englander 30 in a hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Up until this year, I had been running a Regency R-3 pushed back with about 2/3's of the stove sitting in the old heatalator fireplace. With this set up I was running a blower on the back of the stove. This year I am replacing the R-3 with a 30. Measurements indicate that about 1/3 of the 30 will be in the fireplace. My question is to existing 30 users in hearths, considering the size of this heat monster, should I think about a blower or not? Trying to get to the blower for service will obviously be a problem. I am wondering if 2/3 of the stove being exposed will allow sufficent heat transfer to the room?

rottiman said:
Up until this year, I had been running a Regency R-3 pushed back with about 2/3's of the stove sitting in the old heatalator fireplace. With this set up I was running a blower on the back of the stove. This year I am replacing the R-3 with a 30. Measurements indicate that about 1/3 of the 30 will be in the fireplace. My question is to existing 30 users in hearths, considering the size of this heat monster, should I think about a blower or not? Trying to get to the blower for service will obviously be a problem. I am wondering if 2/3 of the stove being exposed will allow sufficent heat transfer to the room?

Hard to say with out knowing more about your home, your layout, and how well your previous stove heated the place.

You will lose some heat with 1/3 of the stove in the fireplace. A blower will always help move some of that heat out into the house and make it more efficient. It just depends on whether the stove is big enough to heat the house. You could try it without the blower and add one if you felt you needed it. I realize this would be hard to attach after the stove is installed

House is about 1500 sq ft. all on one level. 30 is located on one end in living room. My other R-3 is located on the opposite end of house in Family room. Originally the R 3 in the living room carried the whole house until the temp dropped into the teens or there was a strong NW wind. The R 3 in the family room has no blower. I'm guessing that since the 30 is about twice the size of the R 3 that the heat production will be quite a bit more. Was wondering if I might be better using a small fan on the floor in the living room pushing cold air toward the 30 as opposed to a stove mounted blower.

Since the blower on my 30 crapped out and I don't want to lug the stove out of the fireplace to fix it, last season I just place a small quiet personal fan on each side of it aimed under the stove into the fireplace. Worked as well as the blower did in getting heat out into the room and they cost seven bucks each at Target. My 30-NC is half in and half out of a masonry fireplace. With 2/3 of the stove out in the room you will probably be fine without a blower.

2,000 sq. ft. colonial in Virginia. Sole heat source and for a couple of weeks last winter there was three feet of snow sitting on the house. I am gonna be playing with running a pellet stove in the basement this year some.

Thanks Gentlemen, appreciate your input. I think thats sounds right on BART.

BrotherBart said:
Since the blower on my 30 crapped out and I don't want to lug the stove out of the fireplace to fix it, last season I just place a small quiet personal fan on each side of it aimed under the stove into the fireplace. Worked as well as the blower did in getting heat out into the room and they cost seven bucks each at Target. My 30-NC is half in and half out of a masonry fireplace. With 2/3 of the stove out in the room you will probably be fine without a blower.

2,000 sq. ft. colonial in Virginia. Sole heat source and for a couple of weeks last winter there was three feet of snow sitting on the house. I am gonna be playing with running a pellet stove in the basement this year some.

Bart i tried that a couple of years ago in the garage. Concrete floor ate up way too much of the heat output from the pellet stove. Needless to say pellet stove went bye-bye the next spring..............................................

I found my Englander 30 with the pedistal fairly easy to move around after I removed the firebricks and door. I don't know if fitting your stove with a blower after the install is an option - but if it is, then you might try the stove without a blower and adding it later is necessary. You might also consider getting the convection side shields now for the stove to enhance the natural convection of the stove from the get-go. One thing I like about having the blower on the rear of the stove is that it simply get's it out of sight.

Good luck,
Bill

Yeah. The original idea was that since I have had the new pellet stove for a couple of years and haven't used it that I would just use it when I was doing something down in the basement so I just bought one ton of pellets when they were on sale. Then I came home and lost my mind and went back for two more tons. Since the stove will be aimed at the stairwell to upstairs maybe some heat will get up there. If not it will be the "when working in the basement" heater.

Bart how are the pellet prices in your area this year?

Actually haven't checked. The three ton I bought was in the spring at $187. Over in the pellet forum it appears they are available in a lot of places right now for around that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.