1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

? about using a conventional boiler as backup

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Rembo, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rembo

Rembo New Member

Loc:
    Glenside Pa.
    I'm using a conventional oil boiler with a winter/summer hookup as a secondary heating source. I have an 80 gallon electric hot water heater that I dump heated water into. I'm having a problem controlling my heat . The thermastat is run into a Taco501 controller along with the oil circulation pump. I have a strapon aquastat mounted on the wood boiler feed pipe. It doesn't seem to be working. Could I simplify things by using a second thermastat?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Seems it would work the same with a boiler in my situation I have a gas forced air furnace and it only required using the existing therm set at 65F so if the boiler runs out of fuel and the temp drops it kicks on. I can see how this could kick on the oil boiler no problem beyond that I am not sure of the best way to control the water flow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.