Absolute 63, and pellet stove on dedicated circuit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmyfire

Jun 25, 2015
nh
Does anyone know when the Absolute 63 by Harmen will be out? Certainly hope its before this winter. Love the 43, but to small for a large home. Also has anyone been told to put your pellet stove on its own dedicated circuit? Just know someone that had a problem with their stove and was told the stove had to be on its own circuit. Thats news to me, my installer never told me that when he installed and its not mentioned in Harmen manuals anywhere. THese stoves don't take much electricity only when igniting-500 watts, why would it have to be on a seperate circuit. This comes from Harmen company themselves, as told to a consumer with a problem.
Don't you think all consumers should be told this at purchase if this is true?

I don't think you have to have it on a dedicated circuit. Since I needed to run new wiring anyway (house has old, 2-wire - no ground), I put each on its own circuit. I also happen to think that it is generally a good idea. However, I believe others regularly place them on a shared circuit, you just don't want it on the same circuit as all your heavy users (freezer, entire entertainment center etc.). I think you have to figure out the amps used on the circuit, but I know nothing about electricity, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt ==c.

Reactions: lightmyfire
Maybe something else on the circuit could interfere with the stove's electronics? You would think it'd be designed more robustly.

What is this new model?

I saw the Harman presentation with the Absolute 63 and the newer Allure 43 with different color side panels, but would not expect them out very soon. It takes time and approx $20K each just to get them EPA certified!
A separate circuit is nice but having a ground is crucial! So if you have an older home with 2 conductor AC wiring then a separate circuit would be recommended.

It's Standard procedure to put a Furnace on a dedicated circuit.

If you have a freezer or something that kicks on the voltage dips a little on that circuit, also it makes repairs easier you can isolate the circuit easier that way.

If you have a freezer or something that kicks on the voltage dips a little on that circuit, also it makes repairs easier you can isolate the circuit easier that way.
Whatever you do, don't say anything like it is highly recommended, or I strongly suggest it, the nay-sayers pounce all over that. :):eek:_g

Whatever you do, don't say anything like it is highly recommended, or I strongly suggest it, the nay-sayers pounce all over that. :):eek:_g

It's all good I don't strongly suggest anything.... My Wife makes all the decisions and after 40 + years of marriage I've learned to say YES DEAR.. jk

Reactions: CleanFire
I don't think you have to have it on a dedicated circuit. Since I needed to run new wiring anyway (house has old, 2-wire - no ground), I put each on its own circuit. I also happen to think that it is generally a good idea. However, I believe others regularly place them on a shared circuit, you just don't want it on the same circuit as all your heavy users (freezer, entire entertainment center etc.). I think you have to figure out the amps used on the circuit, but I know nothing about electricity, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt ==c.
well I know about as much as you do then :) Thanks, I figure its ok on a shared circuit, don't have anything else big on it anyway.

Maybe something else on the circuit could interfere with the stove's electronics? You would think it'd be designed more robustly.

What is this new model?
The new model has a digital thermostat that you can set and even set it to come on and off when you want, its all digital now with Harmen. Its called the Absolute43, its 43,000 BTU, but they are supposed to be making a 63,000. Yeah you would think they would tell you also if it needed its own circuit, thats pretty important stuff. My stove says it only takes 300 watts when running, its just a blower basically, so dont see the need for its own circuit.

Well a pellet stove does not take nearly the juice a furnace does. My stove says 300 watts when running, its only a blower and an auger that turns once in awhile. I''ve got more wattage in my entertainment center with all its devices all on one circuit, the stove should not need one.

Well a pellet stove does not take nearly the juice a furnace does. My stove says 300 watts when running, its only a blower and an auger that turns once in awhile. I''ve got more wattage in my entertainment center with all its devices all on one circuit, the stove should not need one.
Are watts and volts the same thing? Somehow I thought that volts was the important part and that stoves used the most when starting up - but I am old so probably misremembering and/or misinterpreting something I read sometime in the last 50 years.

Are watts and volts the same thing? Somehow I thought that volts was the important part and that stoves used the most when starting up - but I am old so probably misremembering and/or misinterpreting something I read sometime in the last 50 years.

Watts are the total that you pay for to the utility company They are calculated with a simple formula, Volts X Amps equals Watts, Example If you have 120 volts and are using 3 amps then 3x120 =360 Watts of power consumed.
Amperage creates heat in an electrical circuit, so if the voltage drops then the Amps increase to maintain the same wattage. If a circuit is overloaded the Voltage drops the amp draw goes up and the electrical components get hotter which will overheat them and cause a failure.

Reactions: bogieb
I don't remember exactly, but my boiler takes maybe 1500 watts when starting up because of the ignitor. The oil furnace that came with the house takes less. Both are on their own (hardwired) circuits because that's what the manufacturers specify. I think you have to go with what the maker says. If the unit comes with a plug, however, that could be a clue.

Harman is pretty much all over having the polarity correct. Harman controls are kinda weird in that they have dedicated commons off the board to all of the components. It's a good thing I suppose but if the polarity is backwards at the outlet the control boards can do odd things. I'm not sure how it all works but have found a few instances where commons were mismatched and it takes literally hours to sort it all out.

so when is this absolute 63 coming out? I was just about to pull the trigger on a xxv. Should I wait?

Harman is pretty much all over having the polarity correct. Harman controls are kinda weird in that they have dedicated commons off the board to all of the components. It's a good thing I suppose but if the polarity is backwards at the outlet the control boards can do odd things. I'm not sure how it all works but have found a few instances where commons were mismatched and it takes literally hours to sort it all out.

Most of the Gas furnaces built in the last 20 years are erratic if the Ground wire is missing they will sort of work if they can find a ground thru the gas line. If the Neutral and Hot leg are reversed they won't even attempt to light as they prove ignition by referencing from the hot leg to ground.. If the Neutral and Hot leg are reversed then it trys to reference the Neutral to Ground which doesn't work, Much safer that way.

Well I'm not sure either on watts and volts. Yes the stove says it uses 500 watts at start up, while its iginting, but 300 watts once its lit. Still not alot of wattage for a sep circuit I would assume!

Gonna be a while
How long is awhile? Do you think before this winter? I bought the xxv and had ALOT of trouble with it so am purchasing a different one before winter. The 43 is alittle small, so hoping the 63 comes out before say November? Hate to buy the smaller one and see the 63 out a month later.
I'm sure Harmen knows, but they act like its a secret.

Watts are the total that you pay for to the utility company They are calculated with a simple formula, Volts X Amps equals Watts, Example If you have 120 volts and are using 3 amps then 3x120 =360 Watts of power consumed.
Amperage creates heat in an electrical circuit, so if the voltage drops then the Amps increase to maintain the same wattage. If a circuit is overloaded the Voltage drops the amp draw goes up and the electrical components get hotter which will overheat them and cause a failure.
Well wouldn't your circuit breaker kick off if it was over loaded?

It's not overloading the circuit that the furnace manufacturer is worried about, If the Pellet Stove happens to be on a Circuit with say a Freezer or a Washing Machine The Voltage will Dip when the large appliance first starts. You can observe this by watching a light attached to the same circuit it will dim just a tiny bit when a motor first kicks in.
Just like the Dimming of the light bulb when the voltage drops the performance drops in the pellet stove.

While it won't harm the pellet stove the Electronics in it can become unstable because of the voltage dip - Electronics require a minimum voltage to operate. While it's not likely to happen the manufacturer likes to keep a good fuel supply to the pellet stove,, That means Good Quality Pellets and Good Quality Electricity. If either one isn't of good quality then performance suffers.

It isn't that difficult to assure a good supply of Electricity.
Find out what is on that circuit If it is 2 lights and a Charger for a Cell Phone then it is likely that the supply will be good.
If the Circuit is hooked to a Garage Door opener and a toaster oven then likely not so good.

If the circuit is already loaded fairly heavy then I would find another outlet or run a dedicated circuit.

How long is awhile? Do you think before this winter? I bought the xxv and had ALOT of trouble with it so am purchasing a different one before winter. The 43 is alittle small, so hoping the 63 comes out before say November? Hate to buy the smaller one and see the 63 out a month later.
I'm sure Harmen knows, but they act like its a secret.
If it's not out yet then I'd be looking for next season.

just got an email from harman they said the launch date for the 63 is hopefully this fall. nothing definite yet. I wonder the price of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.