Absolute Steel, 211, Franklin Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
USA
Wish they would hire a good designer or collaborate with Vermont Castings. These steel stoves would never make it into our house. The IS looks like steam punk with bling and the AS looks like granny's old stove.

I'm wondering what the size of this stove will be and if it will only be side loading
I think they are calling it 2.6. I've measured the Keystone and Fireview and found them to be about .4 usable under what the specs say. If this holds for the AS that would put it around 2.2 usable, the biggest modern stove I've had but still a good size for our place. Side loading, which I like.

These steel stoves would never make it into our house.
To each his own. I don't think any kind of cat stove would make it into your house, would it? :p Sure, a pretty stove is always nicer but sometimes trade-offs have to be made, just depends what's more important to you. Take you and being able to load east-west and north-south. Some might say that a square stove looks kinda clunky. But I'm a function-over-form guy. I don't look at the stove much except when I am ramping it up, then I'm looking at the meters or the fire. I want an easy-to-run (read 'ash grate') stove that sips wood, can run high or low, has a welded box, and can rear-vent into the fireplace so I don't have to look at a pipe. I would even need to have 'em chop the legs off another inch to get it to fit, but that beats top-venting it and then blowing into the chimney. To me, the connector pipe is harder not to notice than a Plain Jane stove. I don't care too much about how the stove looks as long as it delivers the goods, and my wife's not gonna put the kibosh on it either, I don't think. I guess I'll have to ask...;) That said, I would go with a "no wings" box and a color scheme we like, and we'll be able to live with it. There's no other size hybrid out there that's gonna work here, and none that have the features I want. I guess I could wait a while for an alternative to emerge, but I seriously doubt that would happen any time soon...this is probably gonna be the absolute best I can do. Heheh.
But tell us more about this old stove of your Granny's! ==c

Last edited:
BK did a good job with the Ashford. If I needed a new stove I'd consider one.

BK did a good job with the Ashford. If I needed a new stove I'd consider one.
Since when do we hafta need a new stove to buy one? This is America! ;lol If the Keystone is my backup for the AS, the Dutchwest can replace the Resolute III smoke-bomb that's presently in my BIL's basement. Just trying to do my part for the environment, and help out his neighbors. ==c
You may have said why before but I'm surprised you don't have a cat stove already. With average lows that barely get south of 40 in the coldest months, I'd think a low-burner like an Ashford would be just the ticket. Don't you end up lighting a lot of half-loads? Maybe you like seeing more flame, though. Trade-offs...

Last edited:
I'm not digging the Absolute Hybrid at all. It sounds like a very strong performer though. The tall leg version is the only one I would ever consider.

Glass is fixed. You must be blind ;). In the second link you posted.

Door Opening:
12” W x 10”H
Left or Right Loading Door: Left or Right Ash Pan Opening

Reactions: freeburn
I can't disagree with you on that. I don't know if I could grow to like the AS. Those wings just stick out too far begging the question, "What's with that extra steel?" A child can fall right into it and almost impale themselves on it?"
Glass is fixed. You must be blind ;). In the second link you posted.

Door Opening:
12” W x 10”H
Left or Right Loading Door: Left or Right Ash Pan Opening
Thank you, looks like I will need my eyes checked after all. It's probably from staring too intently into the flames!

For some reason I cannot see the pics of the new design . . . all broken windows . . . the text is good and pics show up on the other parts of the website.

For the record, I never cared much for most of Woodstock's designs -- I found some of their "older" stoves looked a bit too ornate for me and looked more at home in a Victorian cottage while the Ideal Steel seemed a little too utilitarian for my tastes. That said, I love the look of the Progress Hybrid.

Those wings just stick out too far
I'm not a fan of the wings. Not a hockey fan at all for that matter. :rolleyes: I would definitely go for the Shaker version. Some different designs, along with color combos, might smooth out the starkness a bit.
http://blog.woodstove.com/2015/12/new-design-preview-modified-designs.html
For some reason I cannot see the pics of the new design
Here's a pic of a tester, just a plain steel box but you get the general idea.
http://blog.woodstove.com/2016/01/race-to-zero-epa-testing-underway.html
For the record, I never cared much for most of Woodstock's designs -- I found some of their "older" stoves looked a bit too ornate for me and looked more at home in a Victorian cottage while the Ideal Steel seemed a little too utilitarian for my tastes. That said, I love the look of the Progress Hybrid.
I always liked the Fireview's old-timey look. Didn't like the small window and no ash grate. The PH has got that stuff but retains the beveled corners...good-lookingstove, I think. I got the Keystone, which I think looks pretty good. The AS might look strange (er?) when I have to take the legs down 3". ;hm WTH, I live in an old log cabin....pretty much any style will fly here. ==c

Woodstock seems to go extreme ornate or plain. I'm all about function though so I could make anything work as long as it heats well. I would like to see a blower option though. There not for everybody but no blower is a deal breaker for me.

Gag...
I don't see the appeal at all.

It does seem like they may have thought of the name first, then built the stove to match.

Since when do we hafta need a new stove to buy one? This is America! ;lol If the Keystone is my backup for the AS, the Dutchwest can replace the Resolute III smoke-bomb that's presently in my BIL's basement. Just trying to do my part for the environment, and help out his neighbors. ==c
You may have said why before but I'm surprised you don't have a cat stove already. With average lows that barely get south of 40 in the coldest months, I'd think a low-burner like an Ashford would be just the ticket. Don't you end up lighting a lot of half-loads? Maybe you like seeing more flame, though. Trade-offs...
After going thru 4 stoves in as many years I figure I've done my contribution to the stove pool. The T6 has surpassed my expectations. It heats exceptionally well and evenly with no issues, no smoke smell, no bypass tinkering or cat cleaning, just very simple operation. It's design is tough and KISS which appeals to me. I like seeing a nice fire through a clean glass and love the flexible trivet cook top that allows me to go from warming temp to very hot with ease. I feed it 2-3 times a day which is what I'd be doing in very cold weather with a cat stove like Woodstock's. When it's above 50F we switch over to the heat pump which is cleaner and more efficient. So the case for a cat would be more out of curiosity than need.

After going thru 4 stoves in as many years I figure I've done my contribution to the stove pool. The T6 has surpassed my expectations. It heats exceptionally well and evenly with no issues, no smoke smell, no bypass tinkering or cat cleaning, just very simple operation. It's design is tough and KISS which appeals to me. I like seeing a nice fire through a clean glass and love the flexible trivet cook top that allows me to go from warming temp to very hot with ease. I feed it 2-3 times a day which is what I'd be doing in very cold weather with a cat stove like Woodstock's. When it's above 50F we switch over to the heat pump which is cleaner and more efficient. So the case for a cat would be more out of curiosity than need.
I almost always run a cat and a non-cat stove. The non cat is for our large family room. Warms my feet and offers that nice "fireplace" feel. Only runs when it's below 15 or so, only weekends at that typically. The BK does the main load. I can definitely appreciate both technologies.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Indeed, as a fellow stove junkie you would understand. If I could have two stoves I probably would too, if nothing else just to try out the alternative tech. I like the look of the Progress and the Mansfield but unfortunately my wife doesn't like soapstone. So if we had a second stove in the house (602 is in the greenhouse), then an Ashford would be the likely candidate. It is very nicely finished and has a nicer latch assembly than the T6.

Went back and looked at the blog . . . pretty sure they used one of my comments about the Prairie Design which I thought was decent enough . . . although I still like the Progress Hybrid's look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.