Accentra insert not starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTYankee84

Oct 29, 2016
Connecticut
Hi,

I searched a bit on this forum and found a few similar issues but nothing exact so figured I'd ask about my issue.

Accentra insert, I've owned the home for about 3 years with the unit already installed ( I believe it is about 10 years old). We've run it for the last 2 winters without issue, it's been cleaned professionally for the last 2. I went to start it up this year before calling for the cleaning and it would not start. Power, status, and Combustion Blower lights come on but that's it. I don't hear a fan, no movement in the feeder. I tired reseating the lid and front door, same issue. So I cleaned it myself after doing the research, took just under two hours but went well. Found nothing in the feed chamber but also did not see the auger from that end so I could not be sure something wasn't wedged in there. Put it all back together and came to the same issue. I cleared out the hopper and didn't see an obstruction at the bottom. Is there a way to see further down? Do I pull that flat metal panel out from the feeder chamer and then reach down from up top (came to mind as I type this)?

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thank You

Take a look at the attached file. It lists some symptoms/suggestions.
Did you try running the unit in TEST mode? What happened?

Attachments

• troubleshooting-guide_pellet-stoves.pdf
    12.7 KB · Views: 574
Reactions: bogieb
Simple things first - is your temp setting high enough to trigger the stove to want to fire? I've done that once or twice <>. Or, if on a thermostat, is the thermostat "On"? or set to a high enough temp? If you put it into test mode does the auger turn?

I'm not sure how to put it in test mode, is that setting the feeder to 'test'? If so then yes and nothing happened. I set the stove temp very high as that was an initial thought on why it wouldn't start.

I'll run through that guide when I get back home, thanks for that.

Exhaust fan has to come on before anything else to complete the vacuum switch circuit to energize the feed auger. Maybe the fan is just a bit stuck from sitting but your cleaning should have got to it and at least bumped it and moved it when cleaning.

Exhaust fan has to come on before anything else to complete the vacuum switch circuit to energize the feed auger. Maybe the fan is just a bit stuck from sitting but your cleaning should have got to it and at least bumped it and moved it when cleaning.

I thought that as well, couldn't recall from the last time we ran it but I thought a fan kicked on before anything else. That fan is definitely not starting. I'll pull the unit out again tomorrow night and see if I missed something, also will closely inspect that fan and area.

Perhaps you've already done this in the course of troubleshooting, but if not, unplug the stove from the AC outlet and let it set a minute or so and then plug it back in. I seem to recall my XXV at one time 'froze' up and would not respond to the controls, but unplugging and then re-plugging seemed to reset something.

Reactions: bags and bogieb
I'm not sure how to put it in test mode, is that setting the feeder to 'test'? If so then yes and nothing happened. I set the stove temp very high as that was an initial thought on why it wouldn't start.

I'll run through that guide when I get back home, thanks for that.

Yes, you found the test mode. The blower should start in test mode even if you have a door open, so it definitely isn't a vacuum causing your initial issue.

You gave the stove a good cleaning but how about the vent and cap

Your exhaust fan has to be operating. You mentioned the power, status, and combustion blower lights come on. Is the light coming on but the combustion / exhaust not running? Also is your igniter light coming on? Is the stove feeding pellets into the pot?

If the stove "senses" a blockage in the exhaust or flue, it will not fire up.
Just witnessed this on Saturday. My neighbor heard I dabbled in stoves so asked me to take a look at his cause it wouldn't feed pellets. This is a 5 yr old accentra insert. This stove was filthy. Other than the occasional scraping of the pot and a quick vac that was it for cleaning. It took me 15 mins just to remove the baffles covering the exchanger. When I asked the last time he cleaned back there I could just tell by the look on his face. Both side were blocked with ash. Igniter chamber chick full of ash and he had no idea what the fines box was. CLean yer stoves peoples

Reactions: fmsm
Although I agree that an exhaust issue will keep the stove from starting - the OP states that the fan never even goes on to test, so I'm thinking the stove never gets to "sense" a blockage.

Although I agree that an exhaust issue will keep the stove from starting - the OP states that the fan never even goes on to test, so I'm thinking the stove never gets to "sense" a blockage.
Same as my neighbors stove. All lights were lit on control panel but no go on the combustion fan moving. I could see back into exhaust path on the right side and it was completely blocked off. The exhaust path on the left is the one that typically gets clogged if not cleaned regularly. It's not a good sign when someone shows you the brush and asks you "what is this for"

Not sure if it's common to all Harmans, but if I unplug my XXV and then plug it back in, the combustion fan does start up for a short moment and likely would do this regardless of how dirty the stove inards might be.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.