Accentra insert - the best way to attach the 4" flex pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cybex

Jan 21, 2009
Leominster MA
I'm installing my new insert today. The manual (sitting in front of me) doesn't mention on how to install (fasten) the 4" flex (Simpson Dura-vent) to the stove pipe stub (and why is it so short?). Screws, worm clamp, high temp silicone?? Need some input here. Thanks!

you need the flex to appliance adapter your dealer should have supplied you with one. Also a tube of silicone to seal it

you don't need an adaptor: The 4" outlet on the Harman's track will accept the corrugated end of the 4" flex INTO the outlet w/ a nice snug fit.. Stuff it in, seal it w/ some HI temp silicone, and make sure to screw some self tappers thru the pre drilled holes in the flue coller into the liner.

we always use the adapter. with the adapter it gives you a inner and outer seal due to the adapter bieng double wall. But there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Yes, Yes and Yes. All of these replies will work. I ended up grinding the lip of the flex pipe ever so softly so that it would clear the Harman stub and seat all the way to the base of the stove frame, then I drilled my own holes with a hardened bit followed up with three tight self tappers. I made sure to monitor the drilling with a flashlight, as its easy for the inner pipe to be 'pushed' out by the screw instead of sucked in by the screw. I followed that up with two layers of high temp aluminum tape and whammo ! An air tight seal with a strong vacuum. If you have the right tools, this should only take bout 15-20 mins. The appliance adapter will give you a little more room to negotiate the pipe with, but either way will work, good luck.

I see that Harman uses only one stub pipe for all 3 inserts (20, 22 and the 24") that is why it's so short. I will also grind away the outer pipe to fit the angle so it can seat it, then use a ss worm clamp with high temp rtv.

Status
Not open for further replies.