Accentra Pellet Insert with existing 6" liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarbot

Sep 3, 2009
Central MA
Hi All,

New here... Can you use an existing 6" liner that is about 15' high with the Accentra pellet insert? It's easy to replace with the 4", just looking to see if it can be used?

Thanks

Just to clarify: you have 6" by 15' vertical wood stove pipe you want to adapt to. Correct?

Assuming the existing chimney is up to code and safe, the big issue when adapting is will the stove exhaust properly. Dumping into a larger volume pipe makes things tougher on the exhaust blower since it has limited CFM capacity. However, height is a critical input to most draft equations I've seen, perhaps the most important input. So you will get some help there. If the original stove drafted well due to the strategic placement of the chimney and structures unique outside air flow, you might get extra help there as well.

If you don't mind paying for an adapter (an maybe a pipe or two) you may have to throw away, and some wasted labor, I would say try hooking it up. If you don't succeed either line that 6" with 3" or 4" per manufacturers install recommendations, or replace the 6" altogether. Honestly, I don't think anyone can tell you for sure if the former approach will work. The later approach is the safest, though not the cheapest or easiest.

I don't imagine you should have any problems adapting to a 6" pipe. I've seen many installs this way with no issues. But, if you are concerned Dac122 has a solid alternate course of action for you.

we have done it before, with no problems.. only issue is needing a short run of 4" off the outlet on the insert to the 6" liner and 6 to 4 adaptor: as an adaptor and the 6" are 6" round, so they bump into the hopper when you slide it back in on the track, keeping you from sealing it up and engaging the ammo can clips to latch it into place and get a good seal on the pipe outlet.

"ammo can clips" I like that. If i steal it, umm....its only cuz its cool.

Delta-T said:
"ammo can clips" I like that. If i steal it, umm....its only cuz its cool.

glad u dig it... thats what i liken them to... they remind me big clips on the side of ammo cans in the army... only alot smaller... but it is cool...

summit said:
we have done it before, with no problems.. only issue is needing a short run of 4" off the outlet on the insert to the 6" liner and 6 to 4 adaptor: as an adaptor and the 6" are 6" round, so they bump into the hopper when you slide it back in on the track, keeping you from sealing it up and engaging the ammo can clips to latch it into place and get a good seal on the pipe outlet.

Why the need for the four inch section summit? If the stove exhaust outlet is three inch why not just use a 3" to 6" adapter and use three inch pipe?

BrotherBart said:
summit said:

Why the need for the four inch section summit? If the stove exhaust outlet is three inch why not just use a 3" to 6" adapter and use three inch pipe?

because the outlet mounts on a pre mounted track that the unit pressure fits onto with pressure and locking from said "ammo can clips" on the front.. the actual outlet for the liner to connect to is wrapped w/ ceramic wool, and is only 1" or so away from the hopper when the unit is pushed into place and locked in... thus the round 6" pipe would have to run thru where the hopper is to make a connection that does not kink over and disconnect when the unit slides into the track.. see figure 17, page 11 of the manual
http://www.harmanstoves.com/doc/Accentra Insert R8.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.