Achieving lift-off in the downdraft cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, I ran thru the procedure so fast this morning, I actually surprised myself. I was blown away I was hitting 1300F on the cat inside of just a few minutes. I guess this is just one more of those examples, "if it looks too good to be true..."

I am going to stick with this procedure a while, though. I just need to play with the timing a bit.

I was under the impression the light off would sustain itself. On my harman, once my downdraft lites off it is pretty much self sustaining and adds a lot of heat output to the stove. Seems like twice as much heat.

I've heard some of these down draft stoves can be pretty finicky and need a good coal bed to get going. Sounds like they are more made for 24/7 burning where you can maintain a good coal bed. I still think lots of kindling to establish quick hot coals may be the ticket during the shoulder season cold starts.

I was under the impression the light off would sustain itself. On my harman, once my downdraft lites off it is pretty much self sustaining and adds a lot of heat output to the stove. Seems like twice as much heat.
Same here. This is my first experience with a cat above 700F pre-maturely falling out of ignition. I left the cat probe thermocouple meter on record mode, though... so I'll be able to see what it did all day, when I get home tonight.

I've heard some of these down draft stoves can be pretty finicky and need a good coal bed to get going. Sounds like they are more made for 24/7 burning where you can maintain a good coal bed. I still think lots of kindling to establish quick hot coals may be the ticket during the shoulder season cold starts.
Yep... the big fuel must be loaded on top of a 2 - 3" bed of coals, which does make for more work with non-continuous shoulder-season firing. However, this morning's particular failure was when reloading on a big coal bed... I think I just rushed it way too fast. I'm guessing I won't be able to repeat what I did if I try.

I can get into afterburn territory in under an hour from a cold stove. Not a problem in shoulder season. As long as the stovetop dont go much under 400 the afterburn stays lit,at least until wood is into the charcoal stage anyway. I usually burn 1 load a day unless its really cold out,from 10PM till about noon the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.