Actual englander 30-ncp efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
I noticed the Englander is rated at 63% as an EPA default percentage for secondary burn stoves. Would it be somewhat accurate to say its more like 70-75%?

Correct, the 63% is standard EPA rating. Maybe Corie has done some actual efficiency testing?

What is impressive is how cleanly these stoves run. The 30-NC is rated at 1.63 grams/hr. That's super for any stove and especially good for a non-cat.

I don't think it would be accurate to say that the average household burns a non-cat stove like that at 75% delivered efficiency......there is a reason for the default efficiency of EPA.

Real world is very different than EPA. I would guess that most non-cats come in at about 65% if you want to use a real-world value.....maybe lower. Cats might come in at the same, although higher initially (when new). So use 70 for cats and 65 for non-cats (maybe).

Remember to adjust wood for moisture content! It is common for folks to take the BTU content - maybe 8500 btu per pound, and then multiply it by the efficiency. Example: 65% efficiency=5500 BTU out per pound? No.....

The real figure is, at about 20% moisture, 7,000 BTU per pound. Taking that at 65, you have about 4500. That is honestly almost a best case scenario, as most people don't have wood at 20% constantly.

Love this site, cant stress that enough!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.