Actual output of a CB 7260?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
Does anyone have good information on the actual output of a 7260?

I'll try to keep the reason for this question short but here are a few details.........

In 2005, back when fuel oil was $1 something per gallon and the raw milk price was crowding $20/cwt we put a heating system in a brand new 1,100 cow dairy facility. The owner wanted everything in-floor radiant including about 4,000 sq ft outside holding area plus 150' of outdoor gutter for the free stall barn.
Lot's of load! We installed a Viessmann Rondomat with a 2 stage Weishaupt burner firing at about 325K/625Kbtu. (That thing will make some serious heat.......) Problem is now that oil is nudging $3.00/gl around here and milk price is poor, the massive load is busting his budget. So he hired the local CB guy to install a 7260 for him to heat his barn. The CB guy told the owner it would heat everything (NOT) and actually hired a decent mechanical contractor to install the thing for him. He did a nice install on it. 1-1/2" pex, an adequate circ and a correctly sized HX and 2" copper tied into our piping. The installer had contacted me and sought my opinion on where exactly to tap into the piping. Being that the Viessmann runs up to the 220* range for domestic hot water production through the indirect, I told him to tap into the return from the low temp circuit after the mixing valve and just let it dump as much heat as it could into the return before the boiler. Which he did in good fashion.

The dairy guy had asked me for a quote on wood heat and I gave him an option for an Econoburn 500K with 1000gl storage or a pair of Garn1500's. But the CB was way less shekels so he went that way. What can I say.......
Anyhow the farmer called me and said he had no heat in a couple areas after the CB was installed and would I take a look at it. Turned out that there was some air in the system that had things constipated so nothing serious there. After taking care of that I was looking things over and decided to see how the wood side performed. I checked the wood load in the CB (fully loaded, probably 300#s of wood in it) and the water temp (189*) and then went back in the mechanical room and kicked on the holding area floor. I watched the 4-way valve and it held steady for about 10 minutes indicating that the wood side was dumping enough heat into the return to keep the Viessmann above 140* which is the minimum temp I have programmed into the boiler control. So far so good. Walked out to the CB and watched the temp (draft blower had already kicked on) which was already down to 171*. Within another 10 the CB had dropped to 150* and I heard the Viessmann start up in the barn. I opened the door on the CB to see if the fire was going good and was greeted by an inferno of flame and smoke so there was no question whether the wood was doing its job. The smoke coming from the stack looked like a house fire but had lightened up from what it was at the beginning.

I went back in the mechanical room to check temps and found the Viessmann at full trot, chugging 4 gallons/hour with the Termovar type valve diverting heat back to the CB to keep it above 150. Actual water temp going to the HX from the CB was 138 with return to the CB at only 113. I watched the temps for a few minutes and observed the return to the CB climb to about 140 as the mix valve on the Viessmann side of things picked up the load and then drop back as it cycled closed again. I scratched my head for a minute or two and figured out that the Viessmann was picking up not only the floor but also the CB until the mix valve let it catch up. This is not what the guy bought the CB for.

The specs on the CB website denote a water content of 764 gallon in the 7260. Dropping the temp from 190-150 in 20 minutes figures out to a load of around 750,000 btu's per hour and it was obvious this was waaaaay more than it wanted to handle. Now, as I stood there and watched for another 1/2 hour, the slab began to stabilize and the temps came back a little. The Viessmann went to low fire but stayed on and the CB climbed back to the 165* range. It would go no further than that.

My seat of the pants calculations lead me to believe that the CB was able carry about 275-300K of the load from the floor. That's making a lot of assumptions about flow rates actually making past the Termovar and to the HX. I'm just curious if anyone else here has ever played with this model CB and gotten a feel for actual ouput. Looking at the amount of wood the thing burned in the hour or so that I watched the system I would have expected more oomph from the CB.

Any input?

Ya made my day-- Got the same exact customer you have, and he is a farmer too. Back in after the fact to fix things. Here's what I would do, If you want some billable time. Do the math for pump, tubing, boiler pressure drop and then install a circuit setter and prove actual flow. I know I sound like a broken record on circuit setters, spent most of my life with a set of refrigeration gauges in my hand and every thing is based on pressure/ temp with loads at both ends. You can do the touchy feel ie thing for a lot of situations but to trouble shoot an elusive problem you got to know all the parameters and then it's easy. The rating for the CB doesn't mean a lot, it's the actual output - not much to go wrong here!! I see it has 170 sq ft of heating surface guess you could figure out the horse power and the best thing it comes in 10 colors

LOL! You are my kind of guy BigBurner!!

I was just curious if anyone else had ever played with one of these as the owner is not about to spend any dough to find out. So I'm left with seat of the pants and educated guesses.
You and I need to talk.

Seat of the pants calc + educated guess + 10 years daily operation of OWB + 10 years of discussing actual OWB performance with owner/operators (not OWB sales people) says that this OWB like most/all is in real world conditions going to achieve 0.40% of rated capacity on a good day, when its shiny brand spanking new. Sooooo the farmer needs more of them if that is the way he wants to go. Sad for him but he certainly is not the first to find out (the hard way) that OWB performance real world vs OWB performance published are two vastly different things. Farm income is very tight here as well, feel sorry for the guy as he is now $$$$$ into a system that likely could never handle his loads (real world).

Frozen Canuck said:
Seat of the pants calc + educated guess + 10 years daily operation of OWB + 10 years of discussing actual OWB performance with owner/operators (not OWB sales people) says that this OWB like most/all is in real world conditions going to achieve 0.40% of rated capacity on a good day, when its shiny brand spanking new. Sooooo the farmer needs more of them if that is the way he wants to go. Sad for him but he certainly is not the first to find out (the hard way) that OWB performance real world vs OWB performance published are two vastly different things. Farm income is very tight here as well, feel sorry for the guy as he is now $$$$$ into a system that likely could never handle his loads (real world).

It just really struck me watching that thing for an hour.......It vaporized probably 200# of the maybe 300 that was in it and couldn't send enough heat into the water to help with the load more than it did. Going back to tell the guy it's probably useless to consider hooking it up to his domestic hot water heater with out some controls that would prioritize things. It'll be interesting to see his reaction to watching the temp gauges plunge with the CB going full bore. You can physically see the wood being consumed but very little heat getting to where it should be.

Yes less than req'd BTU's to load for sure, however I am willing to bet that there are plenty of btu's going out the top of the unit, if you care to roast another meter you can show that for a fact. Me.... I am done roasting meters. I am now satisfied that excess btu's are coming out the stack when I can light a piece of wood with the heat & flame that comes out the top of an OWB.

The owner will think that is a real eye opener as well. :bug: :sick: :-S

Just have him stand back & put the wood on a pike pole for safety.

Frozen Canuck said:
Yes less than req'd BTU's to load for sure, however I am willing to bet that there are plenty of btu's going out the top of the unit, if you care to roast another meter you can show that for a fact. Me.... I am done roasting meters. I am now satisfied that excess btu's are coming out the stack when I can light a piece of wood with the heat & flame that comes out the top of an OWB.

Now there's a thought for the marketing dept.........

Compare that to a Garn for example, or any other high efficiency boiler for that matter, where you can hold your hand in the exhaust stream and not peel off your skin........

I am pro rating from a different situation. Their peak load is probably very similar and they have a different CB that goes through 8 cords a month, well it was before it got really cold. But their load varies, this sounds pretty constant.

My best guess is that you might get 300,000 btu out of it fully loaded in full burn, somewhat less as an average.

You mentioned it went through 200lb of wood and if that was in about 2 hours then on average that would work out. Lots of assumptions of course.

Presumably you suggested the WHS1500's because firebox size was more important than storage?

heaterman said:
Frozen Canuck said:

Now there's a thought for the marketing dept.........

Compare that to a Garn for example, or any other high efficiency boiler for that matter, where you can hold your hand in the exhaust stream and not peel off your skin........

LOL: indeed the high efficiency boilers dont throw the heat up the exhaust, isnt that the whole point of being efficient?

Would love to see that ad on you tube. You could also have an OWB salesperson do the same with their high efficiency units (you know those 99% ones). That dont have a condensate drain for some strange reason.

Reminder to self: ask Harry Houdini how the heck they do that? Make actual physical matter disappear that is. Something about defying the laws of physics (as well as others) that I just dont get. Oh well I am sure that Harry will explain it to me, sounds like it has a lot to do with his trade.

Just have the fire dept on site to put that poor OWB salesperson out when they catch on fire. :bug:

Probably a good idea to have the ambulance their as well. Inform the hospital of the incoming emergency case, so they can have plastic surgery on standby.

Massive skin graft anyone?????? Gee guess that unit wasnt 99% after all. :red:

Como said:
I am pro rating from a different situation. Their peak load is probably very similar and they have a different CB that goes through 8 cords a month, well it was before it got really cold. But their load varies, this sounds pretty constant.

My best guess is that you might get 300,000 btu out of it fully loaded in full burn, somewhat less as an average.

You mentioned it went through 200lb of wood and if that was in about 2 hours then on average that would work out. Lots of assumptions of course.

Presumably you suggested the WHS1500's because firebox size was more important than storage?

In his particular case the extra storage would not have meant much, as you can see from the massive load present on that place. 3000 gallons of storage would provide a nice cushion to soak up the shock when that big slab of 32* cement kicks on. Other than that they would be firing about every 4-5 hours anyway at that farm. ....which is what they are doing with the CB anyhow. The difference being that with the Garn's they would actually be carrying most if not all the load.

If they were filling it every 4 hours with about 300lb of wood that suggests something closer to 200,000 btu's an hour.

So they need 3 of them!

At least there are lots of colors to chose from.

You mentioned it went through 200lb of wood and if that was in about 2 hours ...

My math shows that 100 lbs/hr = 605,000 btuh energy available in burned wood, assuming 20% MC and 400F stack temp and 100% efficiency, a non-starter for the CB7260 or any other boiler under consideration.

Seasoned red oak weighs about 3700 lbs/cord, so that works out to 1 cord every 1-1/2 days, or 20 cords/month, assuming the illusory 100% efficiency. If wood other than seasoned red oak, likely many more cords. 40 cords/month for 50% efficiency, or make it 27 cords/month for 75% efficiency.

Obviously a big application requires a "ton" of wood, and efficiency translates into big $.

Status
Not open for further replies.