Actually there are a lot of us out there!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
There were several young but firewood worthy cherry trees down that I set out to cut up on Sunday morning. It was warm out but I was in the shade so not too bad compared to most of this past summer weather. As I was cutting along I thought to myself if there are any people within a 1/2 mile or so from me that I am bothering on this beautiful morning by running my saw. As I set down the old Jonsey to start loading up the truck I heard a voice and here is this guy walking my way thru the woods. Turns out he's a neighbor that I had yet to meet and he was sitting on his front porch sipping his morning coffee when he heard my saw. I was starting to apologize when he said not to worry about it, he just wanted to see who...besides himself...is crazy enough to cut firewood on a nice summer day. We spoke for a bit and he said after his next cup is finished he's now inspired to go fire up his saw. I assured him he's in good company as there are plenty of us nuts out there! :)

A few of my neighbors burn wood. One sells wood.
So hearing a chain saw running is normal.
If I hear one running from a different direction, I usually go check it out, may be a wood score to be had ;)
But our hot days are in the 70s.

Reactions: ScotO
Muncybob, nice post. Once this fireplace is done I'm ready for some woods action, just not the same cutting around the house.

zap

I always can feel my ears perk up when I am out back or on the deck and I hear a saw fire up in the distance......kinda makes me wanna get in the truck and go see who's doing what. Not that I am nosy, I guess it's more that I am JEALOUS it isn't me running the saw!

A guy across the road and power line has been firing up the saw almost every day for the last month and a half.
Now that the weather's cooled some, I'll probably get out and get some more done.
My wife stays up late, gets up late, so I end up not running the saw until late morning, at least. Back in the woods, she won't know it's me.==c

I usually have a saw going 2-3 hrs minimum weekly,when weather & my regular work schedule cooperates.

Just got done bucking & splitting 3 wheelbarrows worth of green Honey Locust tops that my tree service contact told me about a few days ago.There's 2 big limbs about 30 ft up + the huge main trunk in his client's frontyard still standing.That'll come down in a couple more days once they finish another storm damage job across town.I get pick of the big rounds once they bring it down.Should get 7-8 16" or larger rounds,big enough for some nice wide slabs & a short plank or two.

Its just 3 miles slightly northwest of me.He even calls me now when he has something he knows I might like.I had to turn down a full trailer load of green Hackberry (about 2 large p/u loads) on Saturday because there's not enough room in backyard to take the whole amount.:( Was gonna deliver it for free too.

Craigslist is your friend...... >>

if you have that good a hookup i dont think i would take to much hackberry?

Around our area it is very common to hear saws running in the distance. Naturally there are more in the fall than at any other time.

if you have that good a hookup i dont think i would take to much hackberry?

I just wanted a few larger rounds to mill into slabs & bowl blanks.It shapes nice with sharp gouges,good for cutting boards (though sugar/hard maple is best I found) & spindle work like candlesticks or table legs as well.Nice grain,dries fast w/o too much checking & splitting.I prefer cutting it in winter cause risk of sap stain is greater during growing season.Parents have maybe 40-50 small-medium sized ones at their property,havent cut any in probably 20 yrs.I can get all the oak/hickory I want for fuel,the tree service is more for my woodworking needs,I sell most of what gets milled.Keep rest for me,save the milling scrap/tops/branches etc for fuel.

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Good post. We're certainly not alone. It is interesting to crack open the windows in the car during wintertime country drives to catch the woodfire scent in spots along the way. Can't smell the EPA stoves, though.

A few of my neighbors burn wood. One sells wood.
So hearing a chain saw running is normal.
If I hear one running from a different direction, I usually go check it out, may be a wood score to be had ;)
But our hot days are in the 70s.

I REALLY wish it was like that in Virginia!

It's only supposed to be in the 80s here this week and I'm planning on cutting and splitting some before it gets back up in the 90s or higher.

yea got up ths mourn and it was mid 60s, colder outside than in the house for the first time in like4 months!!

Everyone literally within about 5 square miles of me burns then again it' is Alaska gets cold up here. It can get pretty nasty tho when 4 or 5 of them get their outdoor boilers fired up at the same time @ -30 their smoke just lingers since most of the outdoor boiler guys burn green wood up here since they are feeding their stoves upwards of 10 cord a year .

Around our area it is very common to hear saws running in the distance. Naturally there are more in the fall than at any other time.

Same here . . . this time of year it's pretty normal to hear a saw going somewhere on Saturday . . . and as stated . . . the pace picks up come Fall.

It's always nice when you're out in the woods and shut the saw down to take a breather or load, and you hear a saw off in the distance. I guess it's comforting to know you're not alone, even while you're enjoying being alone! The air is a little cooler here right now and I'm looking forard to splitting a pile of big rounds and getting back to the woods again. But it's gotta get a little cooler yet for me...

Everyone literally within about 5 square miles of me burns then again it' is Alaska gets cold up here. It can get pretty nasty tho when 4 or 5 of them get their outdoor boilers fired up at the same time @ -30 their smoke just lingers since most of the outdoor boiler guys burn green wood up here since they are feeding their stoves upwards of 10 cord a year .

That is a poor excuse for burning green wood and they would burn a whole lot less if they burned dry wood.

The sound of a chainsaw is like catnip to us wood burners...ha Gotta get out and see if its a scrounge or one of the neighbors who might like a little help.
I just wish I had more time to do it these days...I am never home...and if I am home, I have too much to do...:(

From a fellow nut, you are definitely not alone....

i hear saws every weekday from 7-4pm from the logging yard next door. little activity in the rain, never on weekends. there's a good patch of woods between us, probably 20 acres or so its never loud enough to even wake me up. in fact, since the owner is kind enough to allow me to get unlimited free cutoffs/cookies, its music to my ears.

Just finished reading this thread and there is only one thing for it, I'm off to chain my way through some birch.

Just a few bits, but enough to keep me going until my mid morning coffee ;)

Another neighbor down the road had some trees felled to pave his drive this summer, said I can have what's there. Looks like some oak and maple to take once I get the hemlock out of the way...and I can back my truck right up to it. With high temps in the 70's tomorrow looks like I'll be making more morning music :)

One neighbor burns green wood in his boiler too. Like Dennis said above, they would be bettoer off using seasoned wood, and so would us neighbrs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.