Adapting insert for Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dis00

Apr 8, 2020
Ohio
Hi,

I'm new to inserts and fireplaces and found this website am hoping to get some advice.

Im my new home i have an older wood/coal fireplace insert. The plaque on the back states its a "Super Heat Fireplace Insert" brand made by Perfection Mfg. Corp. in 1980.

I do not have a liner in my chimney and would like to put one in, however, the problem is the connection of the liner to the insert. Th insert has a rectangle outlet/flue with a mechanism to open an close it which runs across the opening which I believe hill hinder putting a boot over it. See the photo. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks Dean
Fireplace Insert.jpg

You could replace the entire insert with a new one designed to burn cleaner.
This old "smoke dragon" has probably done enough heating for that home.

Yes, a new stove would heat much better using less wood. Otherwise a custom adapter boot will need to be fabricated, then an 8" liner installed instead of a less expensive 6" liner for a modern insert.