1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Add on wood furnace or Wood/oil combo?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by peteriveiraYahoo.com, Oct 10, 2013.

1. peteriveiraYahoo.com

peteriveiraYahoo.com New Member

I am planning on buying a wood furnace very soon and I was looking for some advice. I have an existing old (mid 80's) Thermopride oil fired forced hot air furnace, along with AC. My question is, would you guys replace the entire unit with a combo or just add an "add on" unit?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    What are your alternatives to oil where you are at (where are you at?), and do you use oil for anything else?
  3. peteriveiraYahoo.com

peteriveiraYahoo.com New Member

I am in Connecticut. I only use oil for the furnace. I have access to anything, such as LP, NG, pellets, etc. I burn wood now and I have pretty much unlimited access to it.
  4. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Port McNeill BC
    http://www.lamppakuuma.com/
    The smaller of the two furnaces would be a simple installation , the oil with its AC remaining your back up .
    lampmfg likes this.
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    How do you heat your hot water - and what kind of shape is your a/c unit?

I guess my main thoughts now are - I think I would keep the units separate and add on a wood unit. And depending on the rest of the situation, maybe even turf the oil all together in favour of perhaps a new NG unit, or maybe even a heat pump that would replace both your oil furnace and your a/c unit. Just make sure you consider EVERYTHING that you can to set yourself up long term.