Added 16' to wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Added another 16' section (still in progress)
May need one more id I'm going to shelter all of it.
Pictures a little fussy, 11:15 at night

Attachments

• 100_5048.jpg
    100_5048.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 781
  • 100_5049.jpg
    100_5049.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 774
Looks good! And I see you've got what you need on hand to get it filled as soon as you are done. Even better!

Battenkiller said:
bogydave said:
Pictures a little fussy, 11:15 at night

Looks like you only got an hour or so left of daylight, better hustle.
Wire it for lights and you can work all night.

Looks nice. You can never have too much shed or too much wood.

What do you do to prevent weather (rain and/or snow) from getting at the wood?

I'm struggling with the design of the shed I'm going to create and still don't know the direction I'm going to take.

Spikem said:

I'm struggling with the design of the shed I'm going to create and still don't know the direction I'm going to take.

Don't worry a minute about the weather hitting the sides of the stacks. Covering the top is all that is needed.

Spikem said:

put a white roof on it= not black!

Thanks everyone
Raining today, wish all the wood was under cover.
At least I can finish off the braces under cover.

White roof???
Electricity is a good idea, in the winter it'll be dark by 5 pm.

Backwoods Savage said:
Spikem said:

Don't worry a minute about the weather hitting the sides of the stacks. Covering the top is all that is needed.
If I would have had a shed like that last winter it would have been full of snow so "just covering the top" aint gonna get it if you want dry wood to take in the house.

All you guys with wood sheds are making me want one!

The way the SUPER nice shed was built is amazing.

This is how I built mine: I built a greenhouse and in the fall I put 3 full cords of seasoned wood in it. I keep 1 cord in my basement. Once my cord in the basement reaches 50%, I bring some in from the greenhouse.

It is a very easy build and is very cheap!

A/

Attachments

• DSCF0012 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF0012 (Medium).jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 498
oldspark said:
If I would have had a shed like that last winter it would have been full of snow so "just covering the top" aint gonna get it if you want dry wood to take in the house.
Around here the wind blown snow is frozen so it doesn't wet the wood. It will sublimate long before it melts.

Heavy wet snow falls straight down.

LLigetfa said:
oldspark said:
Around here the wind blown snow is frozen so it doesn't wet the wood. It will sublimate long before it melts.

Does not always work that way, snow blows in and you do not need wood at that time, warms up some and then melts on the wood and you now have wet wood, and we have had wet snow blow in, 50 mph winds will blow wet snow. Seen it many times over the years.

oldspark said:
LLigetfa said:
oldspark said:

Does not always work that way, snow blows in and you do not need wood at that time, warms up some and then melts on the wood and you now have wet wood, and we have had wet snow blow in, 50 mph winds will blow wet snow. Seen it many times over the years.

AhhHaaa! Thats why I always keep atleast a cord stack inside so it really doesnt matter if it comes in wet or not!!!! lol I still want a shed....
Anyone have a 20 cord shed?

smokinjay said:
oldspark said:
LLigetfa said:
oldspark said:

AhhHaaa! Thats why I always keep atleast a cord stack inside so it really doesnt matter if it comes in wet or not!!!! lol I still want a shed....
I have a fair amount of wood inside also but I have found that wood that is wet put in my garage where I keep a lot of it takes forever to dry at 40 degrees or so.

oldspark said:
smokinjay said:
oldspark said:
LLigetfa said:
oldspark said:

I have a fair amount of wood inside also but I have found that wood that is wet put in my garage where I keep a lot of it takes forever to dry at 40 degrees or so.

Mine goes in my shop its in the 70's

Ah, gotta love Alaska in the summer . . . the time of year when you Alaskans play hard and work hard.

I loved visiting Alaska in the summer . . . but can't say as though I would be real keen hanging out there for a long time in the winter.

Shed is looking even better.

[/quote] QUOTE If I would have had a shed like that last winter it would have been full of snow so "just covering the top" aint gonna get it if you want dry wood to take in the house.[/quote]

Hmmmmm... I guess the laws of physics are different in Iowa. A shed like that works great in Pennsylvania.

woodshedsnow.jpg

QUOTE If I would have had a shed like that last winter it would have been full of snow so "just covering the top" aint gonna get it if you want dry wood to take in the house.[/quote]

Hmmmmm... I guess the laws of physics are different in Iowa. A shed like that works great in Pennsylvania.

woodshedsnow.jpg
[/quote] I guess I do not know what I am talking about, we had record snow falls last year and many windy blizzards and I have been burning wood for 30 years and believe me it would have filled up a building like that. A lot of varibles but I had more snow in my yard than I have ever had but like I said I guess I do not know what I am talking about. I do not see the 5 foot drifts around your wood shed that I had around my wood piles last year.

I may need to modify it as I figure out how the wind & snow effect it in the location.
Th piles/stacks of wood diid OK but the dry snow & the wind blew it all off the piles.
Had some 70 MPH winds.
This shed may cause a snow drift, so if needed I can put sides/back & tarp the front.
Still better than what I had & a fence between me & neighbors.
Worked for the rain so far.

Your building is fine, I was just commenting on my situation, I like to put my wood inside after it has cured out side for a couple of years.

I dont have the drift problem here that you have. Im protected by trees and fences . I built the shed with max airflow in mind hence the chain link sides. If I did have a windblown snow problem I would erect a snow fence 15 feet windward of the shed . That would take care of drift problems. THis shed holds 2012 wood and beyond. If a little snow touches it I dont care. But I cant recall any snow on it. THis shed faces west and gets a frontal wind assault . WE had a lot of snow here also. 70 inches in 2 weeks in Feb and snowiest winter in recorded history for my area.

My other shed holds a seasons worth 3.5 cords and is more protected with a larger overhang. Its closer to the house . I dont store any wood in the house. I bring in 12 hours worth at a shot. This helps keep the basement critter count to a minimum. Why cant a woman kill a spider on her own? Im sure there are those that can but mine has to make a fuss about it every time. We all do what works best for ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.