1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Added a Simple Dual Port to my 036's Muffler

Post in 'The Gear' started by Boog, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I have searched and could not find any aftermarket dual port muffler setups for the Stihl 036/360 saws. I decided to just jury-rig up one myself. I don't have a welder, so I was thinking of screwing it or riviting it in place. I settled on using screws so that I could easily remove it to clean/change the spark arrester screen, or to enlarge the port hole after further testing.

I simply started with a circle of metal and bent it down the middle to form the basic shape, then bent flaps on the sides to accomodate screws. The spark screen is sandwitched in place over the port hole and held by both screws.

Fired it up, adjusted the carb slightly, and it sounds great. Going to buck 2 pignut trees up with it in the morning to see how it cuts.

dual.1.jpg dual.2.jpg
    ScotO, Nixon, MasterMech and 3 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Nice. I have been looking on fleaBay to buy one (2 actually) but cant find anything.

This is a great idea. What gauge is the steel you used? .020" ?
  3. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I'm not sure what the gauge is Dex, it was just a circular piece of scrap out of my "scrap metal" drawer. It was a perfect circle though, not some scrap I cut, can't remember what it ever came from. I got the general idea after seeing this one on ebay................. I like mine better though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-DUAL...390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f5935a46
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

What, no screen? ;lol:p
    ScotO likes this.
  5. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I've got a screen in there, a circular pipe screen, had a few of those laying around..................... I ordered a "real" arrestor screen off ebay I'm going to use when that comes in.

dual.3.jpg

EDIT: Oh, I get it now MM................;lol
    MasterMech likes this.
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

To heck with the screen......as far as the muff mod, that is a GREAT way for a mod on the cheap for these newer saws......
    Now, if you want one that looks and sounds like a header on a hot rod, send the muffler to me......:p;)