Muffler Mod for the 290,310,390

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ikessky said:
Exhaust just takes the path of least resistance right? So I would think that if I start with adding a smaller hole, like say 1/4", I can just go up from there.

yes every little bit helps up to 50-75 percent over stock then #'s start to fall the other way.

Well, with still going through the baffles and having all of the area that I opened up still covered by the deflector, I'm guessing I'm boarding on the 50% mark. If that even.

ikessky said:
Well, with still going through the baffles and having all of the area that I opened up still covered by the deflector, I'm guessing I'm boarding on the 50% mark. If that even.

Are you able to do a video? running in the cutt

Probably at some point, not until I start cutting in the spring though. What are you looking/listening for?

ikessky said:
Probably at some point, not until I start cutting in the spring though. What are you looking/listening for?

I like to hear the motor check (rpm's in the cut) how it holds them through out the cut, and the time it takes to make the cut. Chip discharge aswell.

I modded my 026 muffler last week and its running a tiny bit lean. Bad news is that it has one of the stupid intellicarbs that doesn't have the H adjustment screw. Good news is that I just ordered a brand new WT-194 carb thats fully adjustable which should be here next week.

I've never replaced the carb on this. Should I get anything else (gaskets, hoses,etc.) while I have the carb removed? Its running great so I dont think anything else needs replacement, just figure I would take care of some preventative maintenance while its torn apart.

Jutt77 said:
I modded my 026 muffler last week and its running a tiny bit lean. Bad news is that it has one of the stupid intellicarbs that doesn't have the H adjustment screw. Good news is that I just ordered a brand new WT-194 carb thats fully adjustable which should be here next week.

I've never replaced the carb on this. Should I get anything else (gaskets, hoses,etc.) while I have the carb removed? Its running great so I dont think anything else needs replacement, just figure I would take care of some preventative maintenance while its torn apart.

Gasket should come with it...easy install. Nice move on the Carb. aswell. I would darn sure put a new fuel filter, spark plug and clean the crap out of the air filter.

Sweet, thanks Jay

Jutt77 said:
Sweet, thanks Jay

If not (gasket) save your next case of beer box.....could come in handy! lol

smokinjay said:
I like to hear the motor check (rpm's in the cut) how it holds them through out the cut, and the time it takes to make the cut. Chip discharge aswell.
I'll see what I can get for you, but it really depends on when I can get back to the woods. Right now I don't have anything easily accessible because we don't keep all the woods roads plowed in the winter.

ikessky said:
smokinjay said:
I'll see what I can get for you, but it really depends on when I can get back to the woods. Right now I don't have anything easily accessible because we don't keep all the woods roads plowed in the winter.

No hurry this is going to be a very long thread but its amazing what you can learn from a video.

I listened to the Madsen wav file again and am pretty sure I got it right. If anything, I'm a tad on the rich side.

ikessky said:
I listened to the Madsen wav file again and am pretty sure I got it right. If anything, I'm a tad on the rich side.

Thats where you want to be. Now if you can hear that listen to your saw and then you can apply pressure to keep it tune through out the whole cut...Thats where you need to be!

Auto tune if you will...lol

I'm with southbound. If this saw ever dies, I'm turning it into a 390. However, I'm also keeping my eye on ebay to try to find a 440 to rebuild.

ikessky said:
I'm with southbound. If this saw ever dies, I'm turning it into a 390. However, I'm also keeping my eye on ebay to try to find a 440 to rebuild.

440/460/660 keep your eyes open on craglist too.

smokinjay said:
Not in my area! The only thing on craigslist around here are people looking for stuff. Next time I'm at my "local" dealership I'm going to ask them to keep me in mind when they take trade in's or rework jobs.

I told my wife that a bigger, more powerful saw will let me cut faster so I can get done with my firewood quicker and have more time for her and the kids. Judging by the look she gave me, I'm guessing that she can see right through my plan!

ikessky said:
smokinjay said:
Not in my area! The only thing on craigslist around here are people looking for stuff. Next time I'm at my "local" dealership I'm going to ask them to keep me in mind when they take trade in's or rework jobs.

I told my wife that a bigger, more powerful saw will let me cut faster so I can get done with my firewood quicker and have more time for her and the kids. Judging by the look she gave me, I'm guessing that she can see right through my plan!

Still a soild plan...Everytime you cut just give her all bad news! Your on the right track.lol Another good thing about those saw you dont lose any money if you ever have to sell.....

southbound said:
The drill bit sizes I use are one 3/8 for the large hole in the middle and four 7/32 (because it is what I had) around the large hole.. If I do this again and I am not recommending it as I have yet to test but I think I will just drill 3 - 1/2 holes and be done with it...

Southbound, thanks for the informative post. I plan on trying to do this mod tomorrow (on my MS290), and be cutting this weekend, along with sharpening both my chains with a real sharpener for once - just picked up the Granberg File-n-joint... if I can figure it out lol.

Anyhow I was just wondering if there were any new tips you might have. One thing I was contemplating was the size of the holes... you say if you were to do it again you would drill 3 1/2" holes... do you think this is probably best then? Most of my tools are yet to be unpacked / organized but I do have a step bit out so can cut to any size.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the limiting cap thingies, but I think once I take a look at em I can figure it out (I hope).

I think that the "best" would be the largest sized hole that gained the most.. I lust don't know what that is yet...

If I was to do this again on one of mine I would save some time and trouble and just use one drill bit and it will be a 1/2 inch...

I do not think you will have any trouble with a half I just have not done it so I can't recommend it....

Good luck post some pic's and let us know how it turns out....

southbound said:
I think that the "best" would be the largest sized hole that gained the most.. I lust don't know what that is yet...

If I was to do this again on one of mine I would save some time and trouble and just use one drill bit and it will be a 1/2 inch...

I do not think you will have any trouble with a half I just have not done it so I can't recommend it....

Good luck post some pic's and let us know how it turns out....

029/290-7/16 seems to be the sweet spot. 1/2 close enough for me. Oh small stright pipe is even better! (this should be one whole not 2 or 3)

smokinjay said:
029/290-7/16 seems to be the sweet spot. 1/2 close enough for me. Oh small stright pipe is even better! (this should be one whole not 2 or 3)

Just one 7/16 or multiple?

I saw a pic of one with the little piece of pipe... looks neat I'd like to do it but dont have the time or tools handy right now. I could always wait to do it, but I bet it wouldnt be until summer when I was done cutting for the year.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
smokinjay said:

I saw a pic of one with the little piece of pipe... looks neat I'd like to do it but dont have the time or tools handy right now. I could always wait to do it, but I bet it wouldnt be until summer when I was done cutting for the year.

ONE!

smokinjay said:
►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
smokinjay said:

ONE!

You sure????

If so I open mine up way to much...

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
smokinjay said:

ONE!

You sure????

If so I open mine up way to much...

lol My 460 is running a 3/4 inch small stright pipe.....Yea I am sure 3-1/2 holes in a 290 is to much probally better than stock but your losing power as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.