adding a blower to an older wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
I have an older Kodiak wood stove we acquired as a secondary/backup stove in our new addition. It did not have a blower on it and I'd like to add one to the back of it. I'm having a hard time finding any info on how to do this successfully to a stove where the manufacturer does not sell a blower made specifically for that stove. Does anyone know a good and reliable source for a blower that can be retrofit to put on an old stove? Any advice from someone who has done this already would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any provision for a blower on the back of it?

nothing pre-drilled or designed as far as i can see.

I'd try it without the blower then. No sense spending a lot of money on the old dragon. It might work fine for the intended purpose without the blower.

I guess it depends on how bad you want it to look. You could get a bathroom vent fan and duct the 4" off it going into some sort of maze of sort attached to the stove. The output would end up right at the top of the stove pointing to blow towards the front. If you do it right you can make it out of flashing and it'll be light weight. It doesn't even have to be much of a maze... just a little "U" shaped to gather the heat. You can get those little fart sucker fans for cheap on CL or a surplus house place. You could also just point a box fan at it, but that's not too much fun and doesn't require McGuiver's skill. Use the aluminum flex dryer hose to attach the fan part to the maze. Leave the fan far enough away from the heat so it doesn't cook it. Then when you want to adjust the speed of the fan you can get a light dimmer knob thingie for like $6 at HD and mount it right there in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.