1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Adding a septic tank with water for heat Storage????

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by airplanes20, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Splitz

Splitz Member

Loc:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I have an almost new 2000 Gallon concrete septic tank behind my shed that I used as a holding tank for two years. I have been trying to think of what to do with it and the idea of thermal storage crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure it was worth it. I thought of insulating it but leaving above ground to avoid water issues. If anyone has any constructive ideas on how this might be accomplished I would love to hear them as I already have the tank and it's too heavy (expensive) to move or sell. This has been an interesting thread, like most people here I hate to be "inside the box" or we would all have modulating propane boilers or be slaves to the oil companies.
    (p.s. using the ACTUAL sh*t tank is a little out there!)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I don't think I would try one above ground - they are designed to be fully contained (surrounded by dirt) when full. Not saying it would burst, but don't think I'd chance it full of 2000 gallns of hot water.
  3. 2.beans

2.beans Minister of Fire

Loc:
    new hampshire
    sorry for the late post. i do know someone that spray foamed a 500 gallon propane tank and put it under his addition on his house. no fixing it or knowing if ground water is affecting it. its been working fine.
  4. Tennman

Tennman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Tenn
    Airplane, and all.... Most all of us understood you weren't planning on heating poop as energy storage.... just that some of us just couldn't resist the temptation of going there. Speaking for myself, they just beat me to the obvious jokes. But it was symptomatic of the fact that a discussion of using a septic tank as storage was a novel topic.

Maple1, Yeah my last caveat post stating it's all about the insulation was not to imply I thot the septic tank was a good idea!! I'm a closed system guy with autofill backflow preventers managing pressure and chemicals managing rust. Since I'm around large industrial and government facilities I just think that way. Quite a few posts here about folks happy with non-pressurized systems and lined plywood storage tanks. I'm a closed, pressurized kind of guy.

AND just about the time this thread is running out of steam... Splitz reenergizes it. :) Splitz, if you lived near me you'd make a tornado shelter out of it.... If you want to use it for storage..... just insulate the CRAP out of it.... sorry just couldn't help myself. I'm going to stop before I talking about how energy always is trying to find a way to get to a LOWER energy state. All our btu's are relentless and untiring in that law of the universe.

Ya'll have a good day... now I gotta make some money.
  5. Splitz

Splitz Member

Loc:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, maybe a bomb shelter...or after seeing Steve's post on Happy Greenwood owners, an outdoor boiler shed...hard to burn down concrete!
  6. HeatFarmer

HeatFarmer Member

Loc:
    Montville, Maine
    The plus side is you could run your BBQ off-in the fumes.....if you didn't smoke too close to the tank........KaBOOM.
  7. roknwoe

roknwoe New Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    You have a very stinky idea! (pun intended). I am jealous I didn't think of it.

Actually, I think this would not work in the long run, because similar to "stealing heat off a hot smoke pipe of a stove to heat your house", it cools the pipe too much and can/does create creosote on the inside of the pipe and perhaps clog it up.

If you cool off the septic tank too much, it might clog up the septic system because heat works with the good bacteria to break down all the nasties inside your septic tank, on its way to the drain field. You might acquire some BTU's for your home at the expense of creating trouble in your septic tank and drain field...which would be very costly to fix.

The bottom line:

--dont mess with mother nature!