Adding DHW loop to wood furnace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Looking to see if anyone has added a water coil to their wood furnace but tied it into their hydronic heating system. Downstairs is comfortable but wifey wants it warmer upstairs. It's a 2400sqft old farm house, I have base board emitters so there is no easy way to get ducts run to upstairs rooms. Love the site, full of knowledge.

I don't think there have been any success stories with that, that I remember reading. Whatever could be concocted for a coil just wouldn't pull enough BTUs out to do any or much good for space heating.

Reactions: SpaceBus
A loop will heat your DHW...but not in sufficient volumes to heat with...need a boiler for that

Thats what i was afraid of. Was thinking of getting a wood boiler for basement but i have no way of getting storage tank(s) into the basement. Was tight getting tundra down there...

It might heat one small loop right under where she usually sits...keep er toes warm ;lol

Reactions: Gearhead660