Q&A Adding Framing over fireplace facade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an existing brick fireplace that burns wood and I want to frame and drywall over the existing brick as it is bad shape and it will be easier to install a mantle. My question is what distance out from the fireplace should I go with the framing and is it OK to use drywall?

Answer:

There is not a really fixed answer to this question. It depends on the size and construction of the fireplace and opening. However, as a guideline I'd suggest leaving a minimum of 8" on the side and 11" on the top before you start your wood mantel. There are some variables, such as how far out your mantel is going to protrude. The specs assume only 1" or so until you get further away, at which time the mantel can extend further.

Drywall has a paper backing so you really cannot get closer with it. If you would like to hide the brick at the closer area, use a cement board (wonderboard/durarock) on top of the brick, or else use stucco and trowel it smooth.

Hope that helps. --

Status
Not open for further replies.