Adding Mass to my Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
now that we are going into winter and using the stove more. I figured i would redo the stack of bricks next to my stove. Before they were just stacked next to each other in two rows and they were quite wobbly. Now they are interlocked and sturdier.

I notice some people are keeping a barrier between there bricks and the stove. I have put mine directly in contact with the stove. It definitely helps with any clearance to combustibles issues!

So before i started taking the bricks apart which was about 12+ hours after my last fire and they were still warm. Probably like 80*F. The house was 63.3*F this morning.

So here is how i added the bricks. Any of the solid bricks i put right next to the stove and the bricks with the holes in them went from being in a upright position to being mostly sideways. I also put a spacer underneath the bricks because those bricks did not become warm/hot at all.

thumb-IMG_1272.JPG
thumb-IMG_1273.JPG
thumb-IMG_1274.JPG
thumb-IMG_1276.JPG
thumb-IMG_1277.JPG

I do not think the bricks change the clearance distance to combustibles that you have to abide by per code.

The reason for airspace between stove and brick is to allow radiation of heat away from stove. No airspace does not allow sidewall to cool. As the top and front cools, the side sheets in contact do not have the same air flow creating uneven cooling. Top and front contracts, stressing weld joints, inducing cracks. I believe a 3 inch minimum clearance was specified to elevate warranty issues that arose from installing in fireplaces without enough clearance.

Looks like a Series VI with rear and bottom shield for added floor protection, but the protection needs to be 18 inches in all directions from stove. Can’t tell in pic, but bricks should be over the cement board, under stove as well. Did you add the r-value of floor protection used, for what is required for that model? Manual is in sticky section if you don’t have one.

The metal wall protection behind it appears to be sitting on the floor with no airspace below it? It needs to sit on a few bricks and be insulated from wall with 1 inch ceramic spacers. Open at top to allow hot air behind shield to escape. This only becomes an approved heat shield when constructed properly.

I do not think the bricks change the clearance distance to combustibles that you have to abide by per code.
Correct, because they could be removed.

Here is a good resource for Canadian installs;