Adding Wood Stove, Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zonetrap

Hearth Supporter
Jun 9, 2009
Maine
Been researching this online, but had a question or two.

I have a oil furnace in basement that is using the existing chimney (center of house). I want to add a wood stove on the first floor, but I know I can't use the existing chimney to vent because its only one flue.

1) Can another flue be added, so each unit can be vented correctly?
2) If not, can pipe be placed next to the chimney, going through second floor, into attic, and then vented? Is it safe? I am pretty sure there is some space that the existing chimney has around it.

Thanks for the help!

If the furnace is old, it may be worth asking about replacing it with a condensing furnace that uses pvc exhaust pipe out the side of the house. Or in some cases the furnace might be able to be power vented. Ask your oil service person what your options are. As to the second choice, without seeing it, I would guess no. It sounds like a flashing headache. But perhaps there is room to put an offset in the attic and achieve sufficient distance from the primary to do a decent job?

BeGreen, thanks for the help.

So with a condensed oil furnace, they runt he exhaust horizontally, in the basement to an outer wall, then go vertically. Does it need to go all the way to the roof? Or just a few feet up?

My brother has one that goes straight through the wall to the outside and terminates right there.

zonetrap said:
BeGreen, thanks for the help.

So with a condensed oil furnace, they runt he exhaust horizontally, in the basement to an outer wall, then go vertically. Does it need to go all the way to the roof? Or just a few feet up?

Yes, with a condensing furnace the pipe, typically 3-4" PVC, terminates shortly after it penetrates the building exterior with a downfacing 45 deg elbow. There is also a separate fresh air intake pipe that feeds the furnace's combustion air. This is separated from the warm exhaust by a modest distance.

Condensing propane or NG furnaces are great. I'd think long and hard before I put in a power vent oil furnace. Just remember what the back of diesel buses looked like before clean diesel. That will be on the house and in the vent. They work, but sometimes can become a service hog. I would seriously consider a condensing propane furnace if NG isn't available, unless your oil burner is new and the PV is just an add on.

Our house came with a condensing propane furnace. It worked fine, but with the prices of propane in our area, a condensing oil furnace would have been a much better bet. Unfortunately no NG in our neighborhood. In the final analysis, we ended up putting in insulation, caulking and a heat pump. Works great, but we are in a much milder climate zone.

When my wife and I replaced our oil boiler a few years back we went with a direct vent oil boiler . . . I have to say I was a bit concerned expecting to see the side of the house sooted up, but I've had no issues with it. The air intake and exhaust are part and parcel and stick out, away from the house enough so that sooting is not an issue . . . well that and we maintain the stove.

Well, had the plumbing/heating guy out today (previous issue). I asked him about the furnace/wood stove.

He said we could could power vent the oil furnace and water heater. Our chimney is lined so it ready to roll with a wood stove. That might be the best option we have. Chimney is right in the center of our house which is a 4 square, so it will definitely heat up a lot of rooms.

2) If not, can pipe be placed next to the chimney, going through second floor, into attic, and then vented? Is it safe? I am pretty sure there is some space that the existing chimney has around it.

Looking at this one again.

There is sufficient spacing on the first floor to pipe into the second floor and into the attic. The chimney on the second floor as a lot of space around it to to add pipe and then in the attic it can move to 3 feet away from the chimney.

Any issues with doing something like this? I would get someone to do this, just seeing if its doable.

zonetrap said:

Looking at this one again.

There is sufficient spacing on the first floor to pipe into the second floor and into the attic. The chimney on the second floor as a lot of space around it to to add pipe and then in the attic it can move to 3 feet away from the chimney.

Any issues with doing something like this? I would get someone to do this, just seeing if its doable.

I ran this one by our Fire Inspector and he agreed with my interpretation (if we're reading this right) that as long as you a) use insulated rated chimney pipe (as opposed to single wall or double wall stove pipe), b) maintain the proper vent heights once the pipe breaches the roof and c) maintain the 2 inch clearance rule for this pipe around all combustibles that it sounds do-able . . . subject to approval of course from your local AHJ and insurance carrier (that's our COA clause. :) )

Another possible option for you might be shooting the pipe out the wall and run up alongside the outside wall of the home with an exterior chimney . . . depending on your home's lay-out it may be a good option as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.