Adjusting pirmary to much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I have a small stove Quad 400. It can only take two-three 16in logs at one time. After start up and the first reload, in order to maintain a decent burn, top around 325-350f and flue at 400f(200 on the magnet) I have to adjust the primary multiple times to maintain these temps. Is this normal for a small stove like mine?

The primary air is a slide control, metal on metal with no gasket. If I tighten it up so it doesn't leak air around the holes it's very hard to slide. If it's too loose I have no control over the air intake because it's virtually wide open. I've read a post here about using graphite to lube so I tried it with minimal results. Maybe I did it wrong, not sure.

Any thoughts?
Charlie

Wood stoves burn on a curve. The temp gradually goes up, peaks and starts back down. Trying to maintain one set temp like a furnace will make you crazy and can't be done.

Just what BB says - I would also add 325F sounds pretty cool. Normal cruising is around 500F - maybe these are just early season small fires, but when the snow flies and you need full heat, it will be a lot more efficient running in the 5's.

With that little cast stove 400 degrees stove top and three hour or less burns are about all you are gonna see. It is a cute little sucker, but little.

BB, I get the curve thing, how do I know it will stop climbing and not get out of control, peak out then come back down.

Corey, This stove is so small that if I get temps up to 500 I would be loading every two hours or so. Unless my thermo is sticking maybe time for a new one. I try to maintain a minimal safe flue temp for a longer burn. It just takes longer to heat up the house from cold, but after a few hours I can hold a comfortable temp about 75f in the room with the stove, 65 in the bedrooms farthest from it, and the rest of the house gets to be around 70.

My Jotul F100 is about the same size firebox. By the time it could even think about being out of control the wood is done for and it is starting back down. Big fireboxes are the ones that get out of control. The little ones ain't gonna get there.

Get the fire established and then back the primary air back to just where the secondary burn starts to fade. You will be where it is about as good as it will ever get. That will probably be with about 25% - 50% primary air.

Ok thanks,

Now I'm in the market for something a-little bigger for next year. I want to be able to rekindle in the A.M. and this stove just can't do that. I started a search for other prospects, let the shopping begin!! :cheese:

Another quick question, I have a little Buck insert in the masonry fireplace that needs a liner. The factory calls for 8in. If I replace my my Quad next year I would like to move it to the back of the house in the hearth. Could I down size the liner for the Lil Buck to 6in so I don't have to buy two liners in two years?

Status
Not open for further replies.