Adjusting Primary Air on a Defiant Encore 0028

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montpelier Encore

Nov 24, 2008
Central Vermont
We recently bought a Defiant Encore 0028 that was rarely used and is in near mint condition. Installed it and it generally works great. But, the primary air seems to be stuck halfway open so no matter what we do, we get a fire about 600 and can't damp it down. Great for colder days, but not really very versatile. I can pull the door shut in the back by grabbing the cable tag end , put it just pops back to half open and doesn' t respond to the temperature adjustment lever at all. Any suggestions?

Yes, you can manually control the primary air shutter. I think I have some friends with a different model that shove different size shims in there depending on
how much they want it open. I think you should fix it though.. it could potentially be an unsafe situation to not be able to control the air flow into the stove.

There is a small steel cable that runs from the air control to the air shutter. There is a friction spring that helps operate the control lever. Its possible that cable is broken, or there is no tension against the air control lever. You'll have to investigate to see what the problem is. I hope this helps.

Thanks. The cable does seem to be connected b/c I had someone try to open the door when I was holding it shut with pliers. She could only pull it halfway open. Also, I was able to see a little jump in the door when she opened the handle quickly. It just seems to me that either things are gummed up or adjusted wrong. Any ideas on how to get in there to either install new mechanisms or free things up. I can see the access panel on the back and on the interior of the firebox, but I can't really tell how to run a new cable if need be.

Its hard to say without looking. Perhaps there is just too much slack in the cable? I think there is a set screw on the air shutter where the cable attaches.
You might be able to loosen it, carefully pull an extra half inch or so of cable through and tighten it again. Either that or maybe the friction spring has released on the other side of the control lever. Since this stove has seen little use, I wouldn't think its worn out.

Montpelier Encore said:
Any ideas on how to get in there to either install new mechanisms or free things up. I can see the access panel on the back and on the interior of the firebox, but I can't really tell how to run a new cable if need be.

Grab the Service Manual for your stove at the link below, it will tell you how to run the cable:

VC Defiant Encore 0028 Service Manual

Thanks a million redhat and homebrewz. Great suggestions all around and the link to the service manual is priceless. Time to let the stove go out . . . . good thing its going to moderate from 15 degrees to mid 30's tomorrow.

Running a new cable might involve taking some of the interior apart.. especially to access the other side of the air control (thermostat) lever.
Do some investigating first, check out the manual as the other poster suggests. Best of luck.. hopefully its just some slack in the cable.

Glad to help. That's a great stove you have there, I'd still be running my 0028 if uncle sam hadn't put a stimulus check in my mailbox last July with instructions to "buy American".

Status
Not open for further replies.