Advice and recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtmen98

Oct 2, 2014
NY
Greetings People of Hearth
I have a puzzle that I hope you all might be able to advise me on. I have a small cabin (approx. 1000sq foot) in New York's Hudson Valley that has an existing fieldstone fireplace and chimney (photos. To come). The cabin was built in the 1930s but has since been updated a few times. It has newer double pane windows, is fully insulated and holds heat pretty well (currently using a small residential propane heating unit with a thermostat) basically I would like to put a wood stove insert in to add a bit of warmth and ambiance to the little place but I need to be economical as it is really only a weekend getaway. I don't really need it to be especially efficient as it won't need to burn all night, but it would be nice to get it going and then be able to maintain it over a cold, snowy day. My thinking is that I would cap the chimney and flue with sheet metal and run a stainless flex pipe down the existing chimney to the stove. I already have a 15' section of 6" chimney pipe. I am a handy guy and a regular DIY'er so in the interest of cost I would like to do as much as I can myself. (For the interest of getting information we can assume that building codes and my insurance company are ok with the installation.)
The questions I have are:

1) I have no idea when the last time the fireplace was used/chimney was cleaned. Do I need to have the chimney professionally cleaned or can I just block up the opening and run a brush down there?

2) Because cost is a factor, I am gonna end up getting an older model stove. What Make/Model would you suggest I look for? (Ideally a stove with glass doors for the ambiance)

For reference, the opening is 32" at the front tapering to 28" at the back. The depth is about 18" and the Height is about 22".

3) Anything else that I should consider? I have searched about on this site and read what I could but I feel like I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks to all for taking the time.
-Greg

A couple of things...
First - running new pipe in the chimney...it needs to be a liner rated product. Your description doesn't yeild anything that tells me that it is or is not (although you did mention "flexible"). Is the 15' connector pipe? Double wall, single wall?

Second - If you are looking for warmth and ambiance I would want to be able to watch the fire = glass front. I understand that cost is a factor, but what kind of budget are you looking at? An englander nc13 can often be had for pretty short money, is an EPA rated stove with glass front and should handle 1000SQFT nicely (just as one example).

Yes - you should really start out with a clean chimney. Inspect and sweep as needed.

for a cabin... I wouldn't consider 1000sq ft small by any stretch.

1. Having the chimney professionally inspected is never a bad idea... if for nothing else, it would give you a baseline.
2. if cost is an issue.... the larger "boxwood" epa exempt stove at Lowe's or TSC has the potential to drive you out of the cabin (i.e. too hot) for very, very short money.
3. additional things to consider... your insurance carrier... and the AHJ.... some are liberal.... some can be considered nearly fascist when it somes to wood stoves. Mine is relatively liberal... which is why I have them.

Thanks for the replies.

When I say small budget I guess I am thinking around $500-$600. I should have said this first since maybe I am being naive to think that I can get anything decent for that price. I guess I am guilty of the common belief that you just get a stove that fits, hook some pipe up to it and light some wood on fire. I am quickly learning that there are many little extras that bump the base price up.

I definitely want to be able to see the fire so I guess glass is one of the requirements. I like the englander but I think it is too tall for the opening of the fireplace.

The liner that I have was from a friend who got it a few years back for his pellet stove. He has switched to gas and got a new pipe so didn't need it. I was told it is 6" single wall flex chimney pipe but that is all I know about it.

If I have someone take a look at the chimney, what shoukd I expect to pay?

Thanks again

(Still trying to get a pic of the fireplace but traveling for work so having trouble getting it off my phone)

First thing to consider is that 22" is a low lintel height. That will be the gating factor. Only some low inserts are going to fit there.The liner will need to be stainless. Price is determined by length, gauge and ss type. An inexpensive kit would be around $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.