Advice fixing air leaks in Soapstone Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarvestMan

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2014
Southeastern Michigan
I have a Hearthstone Harvest Soapstone stove (1990) that has a few small leaks around the top edge where the stone meets the cast iron frame. I have purchased a tube of Rutland furnace cement to fix these leaks.

Since I plan to do this fix this weekend, I wanted to ask for advice from others who have done this kind of fix in the past to make sure I am using the correct product and the best way to go about it.

Thanks.

It will probably work, but Hearthstone actually manufactures their own adhesive for holding the soapstone to the splines & to the cast iron frame.
It's more of a greenish color when wet & dries to a tan or beige, as opposed to the black/charcoal grey of the Rutland product.

Status
Not open for further replies.