Advice for buying a new wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd stay away from the downdraft stoves, I just don't trust them after seeing many bad reviews here. I liked the looks of the Cumberland Gap when looking at it last year but the fire box looked smaller than the 2.3 cu ft they state in their literature and I don't believe the burn times Quad has on all their stoves.

What's the problem with shipping the Fireview? If you don't want to handle the install yourself there's nothing wrong with hiring a local sweep to install.

+1 for the Fireview. I've had several non-cat stoves and don't think I would ever go back after having a cat stove. So easy to use and looooong clean burns makes burning 24/7 very easy. I'm on my 4th season I believe and the cat is in great shape still. Of course Woodstock's new stove combines the best of both worlds so I am anxious to see how this one turns out.

jus93paq said:
I guess I'm just torn between these stoves... Oakwood, Leyden, Cumberland Gap, and Fireview. Can anyone give me any personal experiences with any of these stoves? I've read the threads about the fireview, which all sound very positive! Unfortunately the shipping aspect sounds like a bit of a PITA. I've read downdraft stoves are a bit of a pain, not sure if the cumberland is downdraft but I know the oakwood and leyden are. Any suggestions, comments?

Can you help us out and state what is a PITA with the shipping? We did not find it to be so.

Shipping was a piece of cake. I live about 2 miles from the shipping terminal so it was easy for me to get. They loaded it up with the fork lift and I was on my way. I was more worried about moving it once I was home but I would have had the same problem with any stove. Turned out to be easily movable with an appliance dolly and a few planks.

I reckon OP means that Woodstock delivery is a bit more complicated than writing a check at the stove store and watching it happen, and it is. If you don't DIY the install, you still have to manage thd project, but it's not that big a deal. Like Todd said, hire a local sweep, then have him pick up the stove from the shipping depot, or pick it up yourself, if you have a truck. I'd wait ~ 5 weeks to see the new Woodstock before pulling the trigger on a Fireview.

Perhaps I should state how we got our Fireview. In our little town there is a hardware store and a tire store where we normally go and they both have fork lifts. I asked the fellow at the tire store if he would accept delivery for me and then load it onto our trailer. No problem and no charge (but I did give him a nice tip). So we were notified the day the stove would be delivered. On that day I called the tire store to let them know it would be delivered that day and to call me as soon as it came in. As it worked out, I had to call for something else and found out the stove was being unloaded right then. So I hooked the little trailer onto the car and headed to town. He had it on the fork lift yet so it was quick to just sit it onto the trailer.

When I got it home, believe it or not I was able to slide the crate onto the piano dolly. Then it sat in the carport until we were ready to install. We left it in the crate until we were ready and then using a couple of planks and a couple neighbors we rolled it up onto the porch and then up the little step into the house. We sat it right in front of the raised hearth and then uncrated it then lifted it onto the hearth after removing the top lid, firebox door and firebrick (to lighten the load). It turned out to be really easy which surprised me how easy it was.

I got my Fireview used which means there wasn't any crating or packing materials. The seller sat it on my trailer with his loader tractor and we strapped it down. At home, we used a heavy-duty hand cart and three men to wheel it into the house and set it on the low hearth.

Around here, friends and neighbors are generally willing to lend a hand for stuff like this. It's always nice to lend a helping hand.

By PITA I mean, if I were to just go and purchase a Lopi Leyden for $2200 that would include shipping to my house. While if I bought the Fireview, I need to arrange shipping to a terminal and then find a way to wrangle it into the basement. In reality, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I am definitely going to wait and see what the price tag is on the new stove Woodstock is coming out with. I guess the 6 month period of being able to return the stove if I don't like it will make up for the fact that I won't actually see/put my hands on it until it's delivered.

I think the main purpose return policy is to make sure that you are happy with the way the stove heats your home. If you like the pics, I'm sure you'll be happy with the look and feel of the stove. Fit & finish is very good. As for the freight terminal, just call Woodstock, give them your ZIP code, and they will check among the carriers they use to let you know how close they can get the stove to you. If you are going to DIY the install, you could hire movers for ~ $100 to carry it into the basement.

jus93paq said:
By PITA I mean, if I were to just go and purchase a Lopi Leyden for $2200 that would include shipping to my house. While if I bought the Fireview, I need to arrange shipping to a terminal and then find a way to wrangle it into the basement. In reality, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I am definitely going to wait and see what the price tag is on the new stove Woodstock is coming out with. I guess the 6 month period of being able to return the stove if I don't like it will make up for the fact that I won't actually see/put my hands on it until it's delivered.

Yes, the six month guarantee also went a long ways toward buying from Woodstock. That along with the legendary customer service and great reviews on their stoves. To me the trip to town to pick up the stove was not a big thing at all and most business with a fork lift would probably help you out, especially if you were a regular customer. Seems I also talked to someone who also got the stove delivered by truck right to his home as one of his neighbors had a lift to get it off the truck. That would really be nice.

So, I've decided to go with either the new Woodstock Hybrid or the Fireview after talking with a woodstock employee. Hopefully it will be a good decision!

Congratulations. Methinks you will be very happy with that stove. Let us know when you are ready to do a few burn-in fires and we'll help you along with that.

jus93paq said:
So, I've decided to go with either the new Woodstock Hybrid or the Fireview after talking with a woodstock employee. Hopefully it will be a good decision!

Did they mention what the price is on the new stove?

They said the price should be released next week with the new stove. Also, early september will start a new sale on current stove models and they will be cheaper than they are now!

That is good news for customers!

Status
Not open for further replies.