1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice for firewood saw?

Post in 'The Gear' started by boondockin, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Those sound like reasonable conclusions to me. I also think you picked a good saw. The Makita is a Dolmar, so parts should be relatively easy to come by and they are a good quality saw to begin with.

I'm a little uneasy about buying a 2 cycle engine sight unseen, hopefully things will work out well with this one.

Don't forget the PPE.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. boondockin

boondockin New Member

Loc:
    Ontonagon, MI
    I am crossing my fingers as to the engines condition. I also hope all goes well.

As for PPE, I have steel toes, good gloves, hearing and eye protection. I stiil need to run down some chaps though.

3. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    boondockin........I'm in the same boat, my hand me down 42cc craftsman bogs down on bigger stuff. My buget is 350.00
    I'm looking at the MS 290 FarmBoss (18 inch bar) the 16 inch starts at $339.00........56cc is pretty solid unless you are cutting giant trunks.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS290.html

Anyone here back up the MS 290 FarmBoss for power?
  4. boondockin

boondockin New Member

Loc:
    Ontonagon, MI
    I took the saw in to a local shop for a general check-up. It did have required repairs: a broken bar stud and worn drive sprockets. I am happy to say that he gave the engine a thumbs-up. ;)
  5. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    That's good news. Now get out and cut some wood!
  6. boondockin

boondockin New Member

Loc:
    Ontonagon, MI
    Will do!
    Just waiting on the bar stud.

7. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    You'll be pleased with that saw. In addition to setting a number of friends up with ex-HomeDepot Rental 6401s, I've run the larger-displacement version for a few years now (7900), and have been consistently pleased. If/when you want a bit more go out of your saw, the 7900 piston and cylinder is a 20 minute, $190 swap that puts you in the 6.3hp range.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.