1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice for Hearth Pad Construction Needed - Avalon Pendelton

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by joetal17, Sep 25, 2012.

1. joetal17

joetal17 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Thanks to this site I was able to finish my stove and chimney installation a couple of years ago. Now I'm looking for some advice for a new hearth pad. I currently have an Avalon Pendleton sitting on a floor model 1 1/2 inch thick tiled hearth pad I got from my local dealer. Here are the pictures:

http://joegt.blogspot.com/2010/12/wood-stove.html

At the end you can see my stove is currently in a corner parallel to the walls. I'm looking to bring it out a few inches and rotate it to the left into the room. Doing so will require me to build a bigger hearth pad out in front of the radiator to the left.

My Pendelton owner's manual says for floor protection I need something non-combustible and .018" thick. (That's it?) Can I just tile over plywood? I want to keep the same 1 1/2" thickness and the same look of tile with the trim molding around the edges.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like the stove just needs ember protection but there's no harm in exceeding the hearth requirements.
  3. joetal17

joetal17 Member

Loc:
    CT
    Are any type of ceramic floor tile considered non-combustible?
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, pretty much as long as the tiles are set in a non-combustible bedding like thinset and not attached with adhesive.