joetal17 Posted By joetal17, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM

1. joetal17

joetal17
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 28, 2009
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks to this site I was able to finish my stove and chimney installation a couple of years ago. Now I'm looking for some advice for a new hearth pad. I currently have an Avalon Pendleton sitting on a floor model 1 1/2 inch thick tiled hearth pad I got from my local dealer. Here are the pictures:

http://joegt.blogspot.com/2010/12/wood-stove.html

At the end you can see my stove is currently in a corner parallel to the walls. I'm looking to bring it out a few inches and rotate it to the left into the room. Doing so will require me to build a bigger hearth pad out in front of the radiator to the left.

My Pendelton owner's manual says for floor protection I need something non-combustible and .018" thick. (That's it?) Can I just tile over plywood? I want to keep the same 1 1/2" thickness and the same look of tile with the trim molding around the edges.

Thanks.

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like the stove just needs ember protection but there's no harm in exceeding the hearth requirements.

3. joetal17

joetal17
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 28, 2009
    Loc:
    CT
    Are any type of ceramic floor tile considered non-combustible?

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, pretty much as long as the tiles are set in a non-combustible bedding like thinset and not attached with adhesive.