Advice needed for TN40 pellet stove True North/Pacific Energy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sdelrio

Jan 6, 2019
Windham, NH
I was looking for a reliable workhorse of a unit that didn't require a lot of daily maintenance and this was highly recommended by dealer. He said is was a floor model from a trade show and he'd give it to me for $1500. Guy lives around the corner from me.
The quick picture:
unit will dump huge amount of pellets suppressing flame without adequate flame recovery
the flame extinguished on several occasions and pellets overflow
...and sometimes it barely dispenses pellets

flame height varies from 1in brisk flame to touching the top of the firebox with lazy black tipped flames on one setting
I have adjusted auger settings up and down.
I have adjusted blower trim up and down.
I've adjusted damper
Fire box and glass start out gray then eventually start shading black
Glass cleans easily.
I have checked vacuum switch
Pellet movement in fire pot, no popcorning. overfeeding of pellets will have predictable results in firebox.
OAK installed - functions the same with and without
Also the unit will almost always go out on the first 2 settings. No appreciable heat. Seems to take a bit longer to overflow if it doesn't extinguish.

Was given additional setup instruction by representative from distributor that had me adjust the blower trim on the lowest setting after taking mag readings. This adjustment made no difference in stove performance.
Stove was venting to a center chimney. There was a pellet stove there before that performed without issue. Moved it the unit. Now vented out a window; 5ft rise , 3 feet out and then 4 foot up.
Same results.
It performs the same on 12, 32, 62 degree days. Much colder room temp on the colder days.

approx 700 sq ft finished basement with walkout.
room thermostat hovers at 71 on high when it's in the 30's outside --I understand the variables
heat setting 1,2 or 3 don't produce appreciable heat to raise room temp in a timely manner( IF it stays lit on lower setting).
upon start up fire pot can have 1/2 cup to over 1 cup of pellets independent of start up settings. (eyeballed amount, didn't actually measure)
I have adjusted every possible combination of settings in hour increments
fire pot must be cleaned every 8-12 hours or will overflow
Dealer said to open it up while it's running and dump the fire pot. No, not gonna do that. I think that's dangerous.
I have tried hardwood and softwood pellets. I have tried several different brands (4 bags at a time) Is every local pellet bad? (Using Ambience pellets at the moment) gray ash in the pan.
2 bags of pellets or more per 24 hours regardless of setting
I've seen many stoves and they don't operate like this one. I'm not heating my whole house, just trying to warm my basement and take the load off of my oil heat.
2 bag ($10 dollars/day) seems excessive.

Unit manufactured January of 2017.
Can't really find any info...

Any questions or suggestions?
~Suzanne

Are you running in manual mode or one of the other 2 settings for a thermostat?

I have been working with Sue over the phone with this problem as we sold numerous TN 40’s a couple years ago. Many of the ones we sold had these issues. We eventually replaced them out of our pocket after we made dozens of service calls. We got nothing but excuses fro PE. We eventually took a control board to a local electronics tech and all we could conclude was the boards were unstable. There is no barrier between the burn pot and ash pan and the stoves were dumping pellets into the ash pan and starting fires. One got so hot it melted the ash pan lock knob. I had her jump the vac switch on this one and it didn’t help. I had her run the chimney differently and that hasn’t helped. I’d like to find a definitive answer and not an assumed answer. Sysco knows what we went through with these. The dealer she bought it from says he has sold a lot and and only had this one cause a problem. This one does have the 2017 build date like ours did so maybe PE fixed the problem but I find that highly unlikely.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I have been working with Sue over the phone with this problem as we sold numerous TN 40’s a couple years ago. Many of the ones we sold had these issues. We eventually replaced them out of our pocket after we made dozens of service calls. We got nothing but excuses fro PE. We eventually took a control board to a local electronics tech and all we could conclude was the boards were unstable. There is no barrier between the burn pot and ash pan and the stoves were dumping pellets into the ash pan and starting fires. One got so hot it melted the ash pan lock knob. I had her jump the vac switch on this one and it didn’t help. I had her run the chimney differently and that hasn’t helped. I’d like to find a definitive answer and not an assumed answer. Sysco knows what we went through with these. The dealer she bought it from says he has sold a lot and and only had this one cause a problem. This one does have the 2017 build date like ours did so maybe PE fixed the problem but I find that highly unlikely.

Do you have any of them boards Jeff? id like to find out what is the unstable component i forgot the ones you told me to take last time:)

Full burn pot lit. Full burn pot firing.jpg

Attachments

• Full burn pot extinguished.jpg
    Full burn pot extinguished.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
5ft rise , 3 feet out and then 4 foot up.
This could be a concern. 3 90’s and 12 foot of pipe is a long way if its all 3”. I would disconnect the vent pipe just outside and take the 90 and upper pipes out of the equation for testing and see if the stove clears up some

I had an englander that was over filling the pot. Worked great for 5+ years but when this occured I could not get it remedied even working with Englander over the phone extensively. Finally gave it away after replacing all blowers that did not fix the issue. I never did replace the board just spent too much hit and miss fixes.

Adjusted the venting as suggested by Ssyko. re-Starting it up now.
(When the unit shuts down on the lower setting there's not backflow of smoke into the unit or room.)

Last edited:
I had an englander that was over filling the pot. Worked great for 5+ years but when this occured I could not get it remedied even working with Englander over the phone extensively. Finally gave it away after replacing all blowers that did not fix the issue. I never did replace the board just spent too much hit and miss fixes.

Thanks for your comment.
I wish I got 5 good years...
The unit has run like this from startup. When I initially called the guy who sold it to me to discuss this problem, he assured me that there was nothing wrong with the stove and that the problem was pellet quality and/or that I just need to get used to running a pellet stove. (NEWBIE) It takes a while to test several brands of pellets. Weather was warm so it was hard to judge heat output when temp outside was in 50-60 degree range. Situation was apparent when the temps dropped. I had called the guy with a burn pot issue but he was incredibly busy and seemed a little annoyed that I couldn't figure it out on my own. ((thanks buddy , I guess i'll figure it out by myself)) Needed to travel so i shut it down for a few weeks. I tried once again, and I just couldn't find a sweet spot with the settings. Went back to the guy Dec 17th. He directed me to the distributor who gave me directions for "additional setup procedure." That would have been nice to get that info on initial startup. Didn't help. The techs left for a 2 week Christmas vacation. Finally got in touch with a tech guy last Thursday (Jan 3rd) and found this website on Friday. He offered no practical troubleshooting advice. Basic reaction from tech at distributor is " there are no issues with this stove, it's working normally, sorry it's not working like you thought it would but, we're not taking it back." and said that "issues always resolved after additional setup procedure was performed".

I contacted a guy on here (Jeff) who helped me troubleshoot the stove. No one else offered to do that. I was surprised/relieved to find someone was familiar with issues with this stove. Can't find much on this model on the web.

I purchased from a local guy instead of a big box store to support local business. If I had purchased from Home Depot, I could have taken it back without issue. I don't believe the guy knowingly sold me a bad unit, but he didn't believe I was really having issues. Very frustrating....

I am new to pellet stoves, but I've burned an old school Vermont Castings (Vigilant) wood stove for over 20 years. They can be a little touchy, but I can operate it efficiently with my eyes closed. Simple. Reliable.
I kinda miss lugging in the wood right about now... the dirt, the leaves, the bugs...

I'm glad I stumbled on this site. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on here.

Good day to you all!!

Less than 1 year old,request dealer take it back.

He directed me to the salesman at Northeast Distribution Limited who in turn directed me to their in house tech guy. He said that I had to go through them. That's the process. If these guys said there was a problem, he'd take it back. They are resistant to acknowledge there's a problem. I'll do my due diligence to exhaust possible causes on my end. I'll approach him again. Any suggestions of recourse if I hit a brick wall with him would be appreciated. ie: any agencies, organizations or boards of professional standards in the industry etc.
Thanks!

Sounds like to me the dealer you bought it from is not very reputable. There are a lot of stoves on the market and I've been burning for about 25 years. Could be more but I'm old and I forget easy. I've had many difference wood stoves and pellet stoves. My current stove is a ravelli rv100 c. There are no adjustments there are no adjustments, just turn it on and it determines the quality of the pellets how much air is needed cetera all automatically. Of course I had the dealer install it and when they're here they run it up to temperature and then go into all the service stuff on the control panel that you need codes to get into and set it based on how the stove was burning. Great pellet stove and it's the best one I've ever owned. Set the room temperature on the control panel or via the remote and you're done. Only clean every 5 days takes all of 10 minutes, glass remains clear. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Dealer is 10 miles from me. I had one issue this year with an 09 air flow meter error code. Dealer corrected on first call to him. It's a known problem ravelli is working. I've burned about 6 tons so far with no pellet issues and I only burn the cheap pellets from the big box stores. And by the way I'm in Windham Maine so if you ever get by this way feel free to stop in and I'll show you how my Stove Works.

Last edited:
Sounds like to me the dealer you bought it from is not very reputable. There are a lot of stoves on the market and I've been burning for about 25 years. Could be more but I'm old and I forget easy. I've had many difference wood stoves and pellet stoves. My current stove is a ravelli rv100 c. There are no adjustments there are no adjustments, just turn it on and it determines the quality of the pellets how much air is needed cetera all automatically. Of course I had the dealer install it and when they're here they run it up to temperature and then go into all the service stuff on the control panel that you need codes to get into and set it based on how the stove was burning. Great pellet stove and it's the best one I've ever owned. Set the room temperature on the control panel or via the remote and you're done. Only clean every 5 days takes all of 10 minutes, glass remains clear. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Dealer is 10 miles from me. I had one issue this year with an 09 air flow meter error code. Dealer corrected on first call to him. It's a known problem ravelli is working. I've burned about 6 tons so far with no pellet issues and I only burn the cheap pellets from the big box stores. And by the way I'm in Windham Maine so if you ever get by this way feel free to stop in and I'll show you how my Stove Works.

Hello Windham, Maine
I hear ya!
My 20 year old daughter was house-sitting for a family with a pellet stove all she had to do for five days was fill it with pellets on about the 3rd day. They go through barely a bag of pellets a day with good heat output. They wear t shirts and shorts all winter long (1600 sq ft house) without shutting down daily to clean. That is the experience that I wanted, requested and expected with my busy routine. I shut this down when I leave the house because of the overfilling burn pot. Carbon monoxide monitor and fire extinguisher nearby. At this point I'm running it to troubleshoot then shutting it down.

I go through 2 bags of pellets a day (high setting) and the room thermostat barely gets above 70. (700 sq ft basement) Tech guy said this is normal.

I was really looking forward to an uneventful pellet stove experience. Green fuel, cost savings, less mess than cord wood. etc. I was looking for a reliable workhorse of a unit that didn't require much daily maintenance and this was highly recommended by this guy.

I'm trying not to judge this guy..... I don't think he knowingly sold a defective unit, but the customer service isn't "how can I help" it's " I'm really too busy to help you" Perhaps I should have been a little more demanding earlier. I'm pretty handy around the house, so I feel like I can figure out and tackle most projects. The guy says he works 12 hours a day 7 days a week - his words. Never in the shop. . He lives just around the corner from me. He seemed like a good guy. His shop is in the neighboring town. I've not posted disparaging remarks or bad reviews on social media.The salesman hasn't acknowledged any problems with these. I'll give him an opportunity to refund my purchase before I figure out my next step.
~S

Some people do not have a conscience. Everything I sell if it doesn't work as it should, I'll take it back. But I hate to admit it I have friends that say once they sell it, it's the buyers problem. Unfortunate, 1500 is not a small sum and unless your like some of my friends, your stuck with it.

Sounds frustrating. I got Harmon XXV this last April. Loud buzz after 2 months (Sep/Oct). Dealer was worthless. Fixed it myself, 2 screws impacting distro fan.

On your Unit. On the OAK can U take it off and see if it's drawing air? Nothing in the path of the OAK? Packing or such? Flap?

The thermostat sounds like it's calling for heat and stove is dumping pellets and not enough oxygen to burn em.

Just a Guess.

http://truenorthstoves.com/application/files/5615/3486/1666/100001041_TN40_200818-32.pdf
Damper Adjustment

The Damper is used along with the Combustion Blower control to regulate air flow through the stove.
THE DAMPER MUST BE SET AFTER INSTALLATION, DURING THE FIRST FIRING. This procedure
should be done by a Qualified Installer or Service Technician. (See "Setting the Damper" on page
27)
Because of the differences in pellet quality, the Damper may need to be adjusted from time to time. If the
stove goes out continually on low, the unit may need to have the damper closed slightly for reduced airflow
at the lower heat settings. If the stove continually builds up with ash/clinkers in the liner the damper may
need to be opened slightly for more airflow through the liner.

pg 27
Installer Information
5055.536-A_131016-32
TN40
The stove's damper will need to be set after installation, during the initial burn in. This will optimize the
stoves performance and reduce emissions based on the installation. This should be done with a low pres
-
sure digital vacuum gauge or magnehelic.
Install the gauge using a sealed 1/8" metal probe into the port located above or to the side of the ash pan
door.
Remove the left side panel (See "Inspect Gaskets" on page 14). Find the damper, located against the
back of the Air Jacket.
After the unit has been running on high for 15-20 min. adjust the damper slider to achieve a reading
of 0.10-0.11n.w.c.

To increase the vacuum in the firebox, pull the damper out towards the outside of the stove See"Figure
18: TN40 Damper." and push it in to reduce the vacuum.

Sounds frustrating. I got Harmon XXV this last April. Loud buzz after 2 months (Sep/Oct). Dealer was worthless. Fixed it myself, 2 screws impacting distro fan.

On your Unit. On the OAK can U take it off and see if it's drawing air? Nothing in the path of the OAK? Packing or such? Flap?

The thermostat sounds like it's calling for heat and stove is dumping pellets and not enough oxygen to burn em.

Just a Guess.

http://truenorthstoves.com/application/files/5615/3486/1666/100001041_TN40_200818-32.pdf
Damper Adjustment

The Damper is used along with the Combustion Blower control to regulate air flow through the stove.
THE DAMPER MUST BE SET AFTER INSTALLATION, DURING THE FIRST FIRING. This procedure
should be done by a Qualified Installer or Service Technician. (See "Setting the Damper" on page
27)
Because of the differences in pellet quality, the Damper may need to be adjusted from time to time. If the
stove goes out continually on low, the unit may need to have the damper closed slightly for reduced airflow
at the lower heat settings. If the stove continually builds up with ash/clinkers in the liner the damper may
need to be opened slightly for more airflow through the liner.

pg 27
Installer Information
5055.536-A_131016-32
TN40
The stove's damper will need to be set after installation, during the initial burn in. This will optimize the
stoves performance and reduce emissions based on the installation. This should be done with a low pres
-
sure digital vacuum gauge or magnehelic.
Install the gauge using a sealed 1/8" metal probe into the port located above or to the side of the ash pan
door.
Remove the left side panel (See "Inspect Gaskets" on page 14). Find the damper, located against the
back of the Air Jacket.
After the unit has been running on high for 15-20 min. adjust the damper slider to achieve a reading
of 0.10-0.11n.w.c.

To increase the vacuum in the firebox, pull the damper out towards the outside of the stove See"Figure
18: TN40 Damper." and push it in to reduce the vacuum.

Thanks for the guess Dataman,
I checked the air intake with the match test and smoke traveled freely to the opening. I've adjusted the damper according to that manual and set with a magnemometer on the very first firing. I was given an additional startup procedure which I followed exactly. I repeated the procedure a few times after completely cooling and unplugging the unit. Pellet drop is unpredictable in amount and timing. I've adjusted the auger settings up and down. A large dump can extinguish a small flame. Unit shuts off on the first 2 settings after just a few hours. Tech guy told me this is normal - his does it too.
It had a strange rattle. I took the left side off and discovered that three screws holding the control board were loose requiring several complete turns to tighten. Isn't that interesting? The rattle stopped after tightening screws. But, unfortunately did not fix the issue.
Thanks again!
~S

I’m guessing you have the same unstable control board we had. There’s no use playing with it any longer. I’d ask them to exchange control boards and hope it doesn’t have the same issues.

I’m guessing you have the same unstable control board we had. There’s no use playing with it any longer. I’d ask them to exchange control boards and hope it doesn’t have the same issues.

Thanks,
Just sent them another email requesting to swap. The most frustrating thing is being told that the unit is operating normally. (silly girl...)
~S

Reactions: Mt Bob
When we had the problems we had the same distributor your dealer has. They then gave another distributor our area. It was so confusing we just ate the loss and started replacing them. PE had nothing but excuses and no solutions. I can tell you if the Dealer doesn’t take it back, they won’t.