Advice needed wood stove or wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigperm

Jan 5, 2014
Rhode island
Hello all
First thank you for advice either way it comes but I have a fireplace in a newer built home 2008 pretty well insulated (spray foam) like to fill the hole with a better heating device rather than the warm air exhaust it currently works as
My home is sort of contemporary so I like the look of Osborn matrix but seems small for the size hole I need to fill
Was also considering installing a wood stove since measurement are 42" wide by 35 high to lintel and 23 deep and 29" wide at back wall

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 132
Welcome. We'll need more info to help. First, tell us about the area you want to heat. With a foamed in house I am concerned about going large unless the house is already a big barn. How large is the house, how open is the floorplan? How tall are the ceilings.

Will you be burning this occasionally or 24/7? What is the current heat and how much fuel is used on average in December or January?

Sorry for all the questions at once. They will get the ball rolling quicker.

Welcome. We'll need more info to help. First, tell us about the area you want to heat. With a foamed in house I am concerned about going to large unless the house is already a big barn. How large is the house, how open is the floorplan? How tall are the ceilings.

Will you be burning this occasionally or 24/7?

Just realized I mentioned nothing about that
House is 3500sq
Very open floor plan
8' ceilings
Two flue fireplace one for this one and one for exterior fireplace

Side note is I have a large concrete cap on top of chimney is it possible to run liner from ground up?

Yes, the liner can be pulled from the bottom up when needed.

How is the home currently heated and do you have a rough idea how much fuel or electrons are burned in a cold month?

As a starter, take a look at the Blaze King Chinook 30 for a contemporary large stove that won't drive you out of the home. It's 35" tall, so double-check your measurements it might not fit.

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-chinook30.html

Any other suggestions?
Like the modern style of both the blaze king chinook stove and also matrix Osburn
Just not sure about the space left open by putting in the bk chinook 20 any one have a chinook 20 or matrix that could chime in
Thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.