Advice on a Small Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarazita

Jun 15, 2011
Southern California
Hello Folks,

I am usually poking around over on the wood burning side of things, but need some advice now on the purchase of a new pellet stove. Here is the situation:

I currently have an old Phoenix pellet stove installed in a large bedroom on the bottom floor of a cabin. This area that this stove heats is about 400 sq feet. We want to replace the stove for a few reasons. It is old, it is loud, it doesn't seem to me that heats very well, and it occasionally shuts down when it gets too hot (maybe a thermal overheating protection problem?) Anyway, we would like to replace it with a new pellet stove.

I would like to get some suggestions for an appropriately sized pellet stove for this area. Here is what I would consider to be important factors in somewhat order of importance:

1. Appropriately sized for a large room (about 400 sq feet)
2. Reliable
3. Quiet
4. Low maintenance
5. Affordable

I have attached a photo of the current setup.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill Cabin 046.JPG

Hello Folks,

I am usually poking around over on the wood burning side of things, but need some advice now on the purchase of a new pellet stove. Here is the situation:

I currently have an old Phoenix pellet stove installed in a large bedroom on the bottom floor of a cabin. This area that this stove heats is about 400 sq feet. We want to replace the stove for a few reasons. It is old, it is loud, it doesn't seem to me that heats very well, and it occasionally shuts down when it gets too hot (maybe a thermal overheating protection problem?) Anyway, we would like to replace it with a new pellet stove.

I would like to get some suggestions for an appropriately sized pellet stove for this area. Here is what I would consider to be important factors in somewhat order of importance:

1. Appropriately sized for a large room (about 400 sq feet)
2. Reliable
3. Quiet
4. Low maintenance
5. Affordable

I have attached a photo of the current setup.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
BillView attachment 123837
You say that the sq ft of this room is 400 sq ft. But what about the entire place ? It could be that your cabin overall is much larger than just this room and so your heat is spilling off into other areas. Start there, give the folks here the full square footage of your cabin ( if it is indeed 400 that's fine but it will make a big difference what you get for an answer)..

You say that the sq ft of this room is 400 sq ft. But what about the entire place ? It could be that your cabin overall is much larger than just this room and so your heat is spilling off into other areas. Start there, give the folks here the full square footage of your cabin ( if it is indeed 400 that's fine but it will make a big difference what you get for an answer)..

Yes, good point.

The cabin is quite large (2 floors above are an additional 2000 sq ft.) This stove however, will not be expected to provide any heat upstairs. There is a large wood stove that heats the two upper floors. We only turn this pellet stove on at night for a few hours in order to heat the bedroom. We keep the bedroom door closed when it is on, so most of the heat is contained in the room. (The heat from the wood stove never makes it downstairs and the bedroom gets quite cold since it is on the lowest floor) So, the pellet stove needs to be on the small size.

Make sense?

Thanks!
Bill

I just got a Quad Santa Fe. It is small, somewhat quiet when the fan speed is on low and it heats my 1300 sq ft house just fine. From the picture it looks like ti would fit nicely. IMO it is not nicest looking stove on the market but the price was right and it works.

For your use I would have to agree with Jp in the Santa Fe. Simple, quiet and cheap used. Too bad your not close to MN. They show up for 5-600 all the time.

For your use I would have to agree with Jp in the Santa Fe. Simple, quiet and cheap used. Too bad your not close to MN. They show up for 5-600 all the time.
Great, thanks for the recommendation. What about the Englander 25PDVC. Would this be an appropriate pellet stove for my situation?

Thanks!
Bill

Something I forgot about is that most heating appliances are not approved for use in bedrooms. California is heavy in regulations and someone would surely get upset if done without looking to see if it can be done.

Something I forgot about is that most heating appliances are not approved for use in bedrooms. California is heavy in regulations and someone would surely get upset if done without looking to see if it can be done.
Wow, Bioburner! I had not even considered this issue. Thank you very much the caution. I will look into this further before I proceed, but a quick Internet search doesn't make it sound promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.