1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Advice on fixing Stihl 075 AV

Post in 'The Gear' started by intc97, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intc97

intc97 New Member

Loc:
    Churubusco, NY
    I just picked up an old Stihl 075Av. The manual said it was purchased in March of 1978. It runs good. The problem is the case screws wont stay in place. I was thinking of retapping the holes for larger screws . Does anyone have any ideas on this problem? I also need a new muffler. Does anyone know of a supplier with reasonable prices?
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    If there is enough material you may be better off drilling and tapping for a helicoil insert. Many auto parts stores carry the helicoil thread repair kits.
  3. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    Are the threads worn out, or is it just that they vibrate loose? If the former, then you'll need to do it the right way: drill and use timeserts. If the latter, well, try some blue loc-tite, as these old saws are notorious for vibrating all sorts of stuff loose.
  4. intc97

intc97 New Member

Loc:
    Churubusco, NY
    The treads appear to be worn out. I guess all of that power over the years did some damage. The saw still has good compression. I still use my two 041 saws and didn't want to see another old Stihl die. Will take the time to replace the muffler and get everything tight before using.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.