Advice on new Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee4him

Apr 20, 2014
SMD
I have been lurking here for a while now reading reviews, following threads and just trying to glean as much information as possible to ensure my wife and I make a sound financial decision when purchasing our stove. Currently we live in Southern Maryland in a mid 90's built home with open floor plan and approximately 3400 sq ft (not including basement). This was our first winter in this house and the only source of heat was from heat pumps. I've never owned a house with heat pumps as a primary heat source and Lord willing, never will again. I threw away thousands of dollars this winter to be cold. Anyone using heatpumps will know what I'm talking about. Anyway, we are not going through another winter without a warm house so a wood stove is now in our future.

I have visited the local Hearth dealership but have come to discover Hearth.com is the place to get information on stoves! So, I sure could use some advice on some stoves. I've narrowed the search down to the following stoves (based on wants/needs and my existing house/hearth/chimney configuration): Hearthstone Equinox, Mansfield, Manchester and the Woodstock Progress Hybrid.

All 4 of these stoves have different qualities that appeal to my wife and me. Price wise, I can get the Hearthstone line at a substantial discount from list price which means I can get the Equinox for about $300 more than what I can get the Progress Hybrid. But it requires an 8" flue which creates some minor inconveniences when installing the chimney liner into the existing masonry chimney and damper. Not to mention its nearly double in price compared to a 6" liner installed.

The Mansfield is more along the lines of the Progress Hybrid and I can get it for about $300 less than the Hybrid. However, it doesn't have the rear exit flue only top exit. I can make it work but its not preferred. The Manchester of course is a cast iron design and my wife loves its look. It's the least expensive to purchase; however, I've read some really horrible reviews (here on Hearth.com) regarding its craftsmanship. Which leads me to be concerned with the Equinox and Mansfield's quality of material and craftsmanship.

Of course Woodstock has a loyal following due to the superior customer service and build quality (not to insinuate Woodstock stoves never have issues). The Progress Hybrid can have long slow burns and has the best ash pan setup on the market (unfortunately my setup prohibits me from taking advantage of this because I'll have to use the 5" legs to meet chimney flue clearances). Nevertheless, I move frequently (active duty military) so my next house may allow me to use the 10" legs and ash pan.

At this point, I'm torn between the 4 stoves. The Progress Hybrid seems like a winner but the prices of the Hearthstone make them a hard choice to pass on. I guess I'm struggling because I want a good looking stove that will easily heat our home, be reliable, and efficient. Since my house is so big the Equinox seems to be the right choice; however, I love what I hear about the efficiency, customer support and quality of the Progress Hybrid. Then the other two Hearthstone stoves per the specs are in line with the Progress Hybrid and I can purchase them for several hundred dollars less.

Sorry for rambling. This is a big decision and I want to make the most informed decision possible. Money is not the only factor. While I'd like to get the best deal, I want to make sure I'm investing in a stove that I will love to own and operate and most of all will keep my family warm during the winter. Appreciate any advice you may have.

No magic formula numbers I can give you but if that fireplace is somewhat centrally located the Equinox would be a hard heater to beat in that big barn. You aren't gonna be looking for low and slow very much in a house that size. And at the times you would the heat pumps could get the job done then.

Hearthstone makes nice stuff. There is a member here that had a bad experience with the Manchester, but its not common. I also think you need to go bigger!
If you can that equinox for a good price I'd go for it. You need big heat!

Could you install a wood fired furnace and tie it in with the heat pump ducts?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

No matter what stove you get, you should take care of your wood supply now. You have an entire summer to contemplate which stove to buy but in the meantime the wood should be sitting in your yard seasoning. If possible, try to get ash and softwoods for next winter as those have a chance to dry over just one summer. Get also the wood for the winter after (15/16) that it has close to 2 years to dry. Considering your stove choices and size of your home I would plan on needing 5 cords per winter. I hope your wife does not mind having 10 cords of wood stacked up in your yard. ;)

One more thing: If you are moving around frequently and you plan on taking the stove with you, I would be careful with a heavy soapstone stove like the Equinox. That thing is a 690 lb beast. The Woodstock Ideal Steel should be a lot more easier to take along than most of the other stoves you mentioned. It will also be less of a money commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff_t and JA600L
+1 If you plan on taking it with you, the Equinox may not be the best choice. The 8" flue can make it a challenge, besides the weight. The liner is way more expensive, as well as class A pipe, if that would be used in your next location.

Who would move their stove with them? Seriously!
There is no better reason to buy a new one! ::-)

Reactions: jeff_t
Really appreciate the advice from this board. The Equinox seems to be the ideal choice because of its size compared to my house size. As for the wood fired furnace idea, its a thought but not the route we want to take at this time. I've really looked at the Ideal Steel. Its price point vs performance is excellent; however, it doesn't have the same aesthetic appeal for our family room as the other stoves mentioned. Of course this is another area I've battled because I don't necessarily want to put form over function. I may be wrong (and thats why I'm seeking y'alls advice) but the 2200-2400 sq ft heating specs for all these stoves (except for the Equinox) should warm my living area because for the most part the Southern Maryland area has mild winters, low 30s at night to low-mid 40s during the day (this year was an exception).

@ Grisu, good tip on the wood. I have about 3 cord seasoning from last year and I'm adding another 3-4 over the next few weeks (had several trees fall this past winter)

All great points regarding the Equinox that I've kicked around and is why I haven't leaped at the opportunity to buy it (weight, 8" flue, price, etc). I know it would heat the house but its a big stove and the most expensive especially due to the flue size. So we know the Equinox will do the job but lets take it out of the picture for a minute. would the smaller stoves heat an open 3400 sqft floor plan in a mild winter location?

All great points regarding the Equinox that I've kicked around and is why I haven't leaped at the opportunity to buy it (weight, 8" flue, price, etc). I know it would heat the house but its a big stove and the most expensive especially due to the flue size. So we know the Equinox will do the job but lets take it out of the picture for a minute. would the smaller stoves heat an open 3400 sqft floor plan in a mild winter location?

For a more accurate idea how much stove you will need you can take a look at the BTU per kWh output of your heatpump and multiply that with the electricity used this winter. One cu ft of mixed hardwood will give you roughly 100,000 BTU of usable heat and with a 3 cu ft stove you should be able to burn at least 7 to 8 cu ft per day (assuming 3 loads per day). Even if it turns out that 3 cu ft of firebox will not be quite enough on the coldest days, I would just run the heatpumps for a little bit then. The stove will still save you a lot of money over the whole winter. I would also consider that the Progress Hybrid is a catalytic stove which means more controllable heat when you have long periods of rather mild winter weather.

From what I hear the Ideal Steel or the Progress Hybrid should be able to handle the job assuming the house is well insulated. I personally have found that with lack of good insulation all you get is disappointment. My Quadra Fire would probably do the job with good insulation. What R level is your attic insulation? Old windows, doors etc?

Reactions: webby3650
For a more accurate idea how much stove you will need you can take a look at the BTU per kWh output of your heatpump and multiply that with the electricity used this winter. One cu ft of mixed hardwood will give you roughly 100,000 BTU of usable heat and with a 3 cu ft stove you should be able to burn at least 7 to 8 cu ft per day (assuming 3 loads per day). Even if it turns out that 3 cu ft of firebox will not be quite enough on the coldest days, I would just run the heatpumps for a little bit then. The stove will still save you a lot of money over the whole winter. I would also consider that the Progress Hybrid is a catalytic stove which means more controllable heat when you have long periods of rather mild winter weather.

The problem I have with my heat pump, is that when it doesn't run all day and suddenly kicks on it clears all the cold air out of the vents and cools the house down. Then it kicks on auxiliary to catch up. Heatpumps and wood stoves don't seem to work well together. Since the woodstove does not put out even heat, the air handler starts pulling air from the colder rooms too. I've found that after the woodstove cycles and the heat pump kicks on when its 30 degrees or so it could take almost an hour for the temperature to recover.

I think you owe it to yourself to think through another option, which would be to add a backup furnace. I had one for 5 years here in Central Ohio and it worked great through a couple of pretty cold winters. When the cold falls below the heat pump's best temperature ranges, the furnace kicks in (or you can switch manually if you want), and it acts as any forced-air furnace would. When it's warm enough to take advantage of the higher efficiency of the heat pump, it will do so. Heat pumps on their own do fine down to about 35 degrees but it becomes exactly like you say - more money for less comfort - below that, unless you have the furnace to take over.

If you have natural gas, I think it has to be on the table of things you at least consider (if you have and have rejected it, then ignore all this). There are lots of points in favor of wood heat but it's not the perfect solution for everyone. As you say, it's a big decision and you should think through every option.

The problem I have with my heat pump, is that when it doesn't run all day and suddenly kicks on it clears all the cold air out of the vents and cools the house down. Then it kicks on auxiliary to catch up. Heatpumps and wood stoves don't seem to work well together. Since the woodstove does not put out even heat, the air handler starts pulling air from the colder rooms too. I've found that after the woodstove cycles and the heat pump kicks on when its 30 degrees or so it could take almost an hour for the temperature to recover.
Our heat pump works great with the woodstove. One thing that helps is our entire system is well insulated. Also we don't let the house cool down too much. A heat pump works better with less of a setback than a conventional system.

Last edited:
My house has good insulation and windows are modern (not sure of the attic R value off hand). I appreciate the alternative recommendations but I want to go wood as I have an abundance available to me. I guess its my lack of experience/understanding if there is a big difference in the burn/heat produced between a non-cat (hearthstone) and the cat (Woodstock). Pros/cons to each is what I'm trying to learn. Thanks for the help folks.

A hybrid stove is the best of both worlds. Literally, you are using both technologies.
Non- catalytic stoves work very well but require extremely dry wood . Catalytic is slightly more maintenance but provides a steady even heat output. Hybrid stoves should give you the best control using both technologies.

Last edited:
When it's cold outside and both stoves are being pushed to supply heat the difference will be minimal. I think the distinct advantage here will be capacity. The Equinox has a much bigger belly. In milder weather when less heat is needed the advantage swings more toward the Progress which should have a longer burn time. But the mass of the Equinox should make it so that you can do a fire in the morning and then if needed, one at night during mild weather.

A hybrid stove is the best of both worlds. Literally, you are using both technologies.
Non- catalytic stoves work very well but require extremely dry wood . Catalytic is slightly more maintenance but provides a steady even heat output. Hybrid stoves should give you the best control using both technologies.
Not necessarily the case with a hybrid.
In my experience, the hybrid was basically a non-cat with a cat to clean up the exhaust. It had a little better low end, but not much. After having cats, non-cats, and hybrid, I can tell you it ain't no cat stove for sure! I can't speak for the Progress Hybrid, but I sure wouldn't trade my cat or my non-cat for a Cape Cod. Been there done that.

From the Beta Testers it appears like the Ideal Steel has the best low end control of the hybrids, but I don't know. I think I would miss my lazy flame show with a cat only stove :)

From the Beta Testers it appears like the Ideal Steel has the best low end control of the hybrids, but I don't know. I think I would miss my lazy flame show with a cat only stove :)
That's the way it sounds. I'd really like to give one a try!
I will say that my Cape Cod had the most beautiful fire I've seen in a stove so far!

The Ideal Steel is very interesting and would be the least expensive to purchase. My biggest hurdle compared to the others I'm looking at is the look. Maybe the right color combo would do the trick, I don't know. I've definitely considered the Ideal Steel. How does it's performance compare to the Progress Hybrid, Mansfield, Manchester anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.