Advice On Painting The Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
My wife does not like the standard black stoves. So, I am going to be painting our new stove. I am getting some Stove Bright paint, in the color of my wifes choice.

My questions are:
Should I do any kind of prep work, before painting the stove, besides removing the door and taping anything I don't want painted?
Is there anything I should do after it is painted to ensure it's durability on such a hot surface?

scuff it all down w/ a wire brush, steel wool, or sandpaper. Then get a can of stovebright's paint prep cleaner, wipe the stove down w/ that. after it dries, tape off any logos, controls, glass and apply in nice even coats.

Be absolutely sure you paint the stove in a very well ventilated place. Outdoors in a shady area is best and wear a mask. The fumes from Stove Brite are very intense and can damage brain cells. Follow the directions like they mean it.

Franks said:
Steel or cast iron stove?

This is a steel stove.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
if it is clean and new, wire brushing is not a good idea

paint prep, by stove brite, is the best prep(just ask stove brite,hehe)

i use windex for all almost all prep however

It is brand new...waiting on delivery now...hopefully within the 2 weeks

Sounds interesting^don't forget some before and after pictures.

If it was me and the stove was steel, I would do as Summit suggested but I would use a very mild abrasive, like a very fine steel wool

Status
Not open for further replies.