advice on propane tank install?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by RIDGERUNNER30, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. RIDGERUNNER30

    RIDGERUNNER30
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2009
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    5
    Loc:
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Hey,I recently made a post wanting advice on gas cooking ranges, well i finally purchased a gas stove at lowes. now I'am in the process of getting the gas company to hook me up and set a propane tank but the problem i'am have is they are asking four hundred bucks to set the tank and hook it to the stove and then buy the gas to fill it up. they said it cost about $ 2.50 a gallon, If my math is right it will cost close to a thousand bucks to set a two hundred and fifty gallon tank, my question is should i buy me a used tank and get my own gas line and hook it up myself? Do you guys think they are being high on the setup and install of the tank.
     
    Collapse Signature Expand Signature

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. dumbodog00

    dumbodog00
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I would purchase a tank instead of renting. That way you are in control of where you buy propane from. You are not locked in with that one company and if you use less than you think, there will be no penalty. You can shop around for the best gas price that way.
    The install price doesn't seem too bad especially if they are running a new line from the tank to the stove and conncecting the stove. You could always call a plumber (most are certified for gas install at least around me) and ask what their price would be for running the line.
     
  3. boatboy63

    boatboy63
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Messages:
    192
    Likes Received:
    15
    Loc:
    Northeastern TN
    Something else to consider. When a tank is filled, they will only fill it to around 80% of it's capacity. In other words, if you have a 250 gallon tank, they will only put 200 gallons in it. The other 20% is for expansion. Furthermore, it is easy to run a propane line. Just use soapy water when completed to check for leaks. Don't use a lighter.
     
    Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. rustynut

    rustynut
    Expand Collapse
    Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    Messages:
    343
    Likes Received:
    9
    Loc:
    mid mich
    +2 what dumbodog said......
    rn
     
    Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. semipro

    semipro
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    2,976
    Likes Received:
    445
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Ridgerunner,
    You may want to check out the "Articles for sale" forum at Hearth. There's a 500 gal. propane tank for sale in Beckley, WV. I'm not sure how far away that is from you.
     
    Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. vvvv

    vvvv
    Expand Collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,449
    Likes Received:
    0
    Loc:
    MAINE
    just planning to run cookstove from gas or more appliances? u can run your own line but check current code
     

Share This Page

Entire Site copyright © 1995-2016 - email to webinfo@hearth.com
Hearth.com and HearthNet are property and trademarks of Hearth.com LLC Advertising Information