advice on second stove for the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
thinking about puting a second stove in my house, the stove i have right now does a real job of heating the back part of the house were the stove is located , but the front part has three small rooms about 800 sq feet , how big of stove would a man need i like the pacific energy t-5 and jotul 602 , I want something that would have a decent burn time and get the job done without being overkill.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
thinking about puting a second stove in my house, the stove i have right now does a real job of heating the back part of the house were the stove is located , but the front part has three small rooms about 800 sq feet , how big of stove would a man need i like the pacific energy t-5 and jotul 602 , I want something that would have a decent burn time and get the job done without being overkill.

Is the layout open enough for the heat to get to all three rooms or is there a risk of one of the rooms being ridiculously warm? Because the PE T5 seems like over kill and the Jøtul 602 seems like you won't get the burn times you are looking for.

A stove the size of the Jøtul F 3 CB seems like a good choice.

Says the man with 3 stoves!

The first stove that comes to mind is the Woodstock Paladian or Keystone. Long burn times and you will be able to control the heat much better so you don't overdue it.

wendell said:
Says the man with 3 stoves!

Hmm... got me there. T5 it is! :)

Ridgerunner, if decent burn times means 2-3 hrs, then the 602 would work. The F3CB will burn maybe an hour longer with careful packing. Both of these stove still can put out a lot of heat, but they use up their fuel quickly.

I was also going to suggest a small Woodstock to extend burn times. A 2 cu ft stove might be too much here unless this part of the house is cut off and completely dependent on extra heat. If the area gets some heat from the primary stove, then the T5 might be overkill. This would be particularly true if the small rooms are not openly connected to each other.

I love my wood burning stove. I love everything about it. I love cutting, splitting, stacking the wood. I love "messin'" with the stove first thing of a morning. I love calculating when and how much wood to load. Ok, I admit I am still a cave man.

BUT!!! I have a stove in my shop as well and I HATE, absolutely HATE running both at the same time. I'm over there, I think I ought to take a look at the stove in the house. I'm in the house, just how long has it been since I loaded up the stove in the shop? I absolutely know that to run two stoves at the same time, even in the same house, would be a pain that would make me rethink the whole propane thing.

Now, as to a stove, if you have three rooms, all with standard doorways for airflow, I kind of like the Woodstock idea. I also like the PE idea - I once had a jacketed steel stove and really liked the convection heat. That said, it is likely that whatever you do, the room with the stove is going to be very, very warm. Fans, vents, whatever, I doubt you can overcome this.

Last word, I promise: I have come to realize that the reason my house heats so (relatively) evenly, in spite of it not being a truly open floorplan, is that we insulated very, very heavily. R30 walls. Limited windows. R70 plus in the attic. When the airflow to a room is poor then ordinary insulation or worse is going to allow heat to flow out faster than you can bring it in. But if you can seriously slow down the heat loss out of a room then even a modest amout of warm airflow is going to keep the temperature reasonable.

jotul8e2 said:
BUT!!! I have a stove in my shop as well and I HATE, absolutely HATE running both at the same time. I'm over there, I think I ought to take a look at the stove in the house. I'm in the house, just how long has it been since I loaded up the stove in the shop? I absolutely know that to run two stoves at the same time, even in the same house, would be a pain that would make me rethink the whole propane thing.

Eh, it's not that bad.

I just installed a 2nd stove in my 113+ year old house. I have a Hearthstone Heritage in the largest room of my house and added a Jotul 3cb to the front parlor. You can stand near the front door and see both stoves. I think it has significantly improved the heat throughout my house without the feeling of being "heated" out of a room. I think the natural gas furnace has kicked on 1-2 times at most per day(usually around 4 am) and some days not at all. I will say that monitoring two stoves and keeping temps up to where I want them can be a bit of a bear at times as can ash removal. Overall I really like the 2nd stove, I have plenty of wood, and am happy, although the Castine might have worked out better for me in the long run, we shall see. My wife has stopped complaining about being cold but started in about me being gone this time of year, cutting and hauling wood.

BeGreen said:
Ridgerunner, if decent burn times means 2-3 hrs, then the 602 would work. The F3CB will burn maybe an hour longer with careful packing. Both of these stove still can put out a lot of heat, but they use up their fuel quickly.

I was also going to suggest a small Woodstock to extend burn times. A 2 cu ft stove might be too much here unless this part of the house is cut off and completely dependent on extra heat. If the area gets some heat from the primary stove, then the T5 might be overkill. This would be particularly true if the small rooms are not openly connected to each other.

i have a 602 that i heat my 1st floor with,open living room to kitchen ,hallway of to side that leads to bathroom and 3 bedrooms,1200 sq ft
basement has a bedroom heat by an oil heater,3 other rooms that are,nt heated say around 45-50f .just last nite i put 3 blocks of 2x3 kd hard maple in around mid-nite and there was a good bed of coals left at 5:45 am the stove and upstairs still quite warm.i really think the 602 peforms best with optimum hardwood,mine is 10-12 %moisture....

Status
Not open for further replies.