Advice on various species I've scrounged.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okotoks guy

May 22, 2010
Alberta
So,I've got a wood burning stove in my cabin that I purchased last year.Also,a fairly large firepit
in the yard at the cabin.All that was left at the cabin when I purchased was about 1/2 cord of poplar
which I will never burn again!My father in law (who has an acreage and allows me to store wood)has a
wood burning insert.So far this year I've scrounged from CL and Tree service guys.I've managed
to get the following:about 1.5 cords of Manitoba Maple,2 cords of spruce,1/2 cord white birch,1/2
cord of apple,and 1 cord of green ash.I split the wood as soon as I get it and have it sitting in an open
field stacked on pallets.
What I'm wondering since I'm new to the burning thing is,how long does the wood need to season to
burn in the stove or insert?How long to season for the firepit?Also any advice for what should not go into
the insert or stove.
Thanks very much in advance.

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't burn poplar? I know it's not a high BTU wood and doesn't coal up very nicely, but I actually like using it in the Fall and Spring myself.

In general, lacking a moisture meter for accurate readings, most wood needs a year or so of seasoning (i.e. split, stacked and left alone for a year) . . . some wood seasons faster such as cherry, white ash, etc. and some wood takes longer (i.e. oak).

In terms of burning in a fire pit . . . it's not so crucial that you get really seasoned wood since you don't have to worry about creosote fouling up the flue, maximizing the heat output in the home to stay warm or burning hot enough to fire off the secondaries/engage the cat . . . heck I sometimes burn fresh cut wood in a firepit when I'm clearing land . . . of course it takes a lot more work to get the fire going when using green wood.

What shouldn't you burn inside . . . painted/stained wood, excessive amounts of paper/cardboard, pressure treated wood, etc. . . . otherwise in my own world, all species of wood may be cut, split, stacked and shoved into the firebox to keep me warm.

That is the million dollar question. The only answer is as long as possible or until it's dry. There are a ton of variables on drying but it looks like you have a good start on it. When the burning season starts you might want to test the dampness by banging two splits together. If dry they'll ring.

Matt

Good wind and sun you should be ok for winter its not going to be the very best but your getting there..Get 3 years ahead and you will have better choices.

firefighterjake said:
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't burn poplar? I know it's not a high BTU wood and doesn't coal up very nicely, but I actually like using it in the Fall and Spring myself.

In general, lacking a moisture meter for accurate readings, most wood needs a year or so of seasoning (i.e. split, stacked and left alone for a year) . . . some wood seasons faster such as cherry, white ash, etc. and some wood takes longer (i.e. oak).

In terms of burning in a fire pit . . . it's not so crucial that you get really seasoned wood since you don't have to worry about creosote fouling up the flue, maximizing the heat output in the home to stay warm or burning hot enough to fire off the secondaries/engage the cat . . . heck I sometimes burn fresh cut wood in a firepit when I'm clearing land . . . of course it takes a lot more work to get the fire going when using green wood.

What shouldn't you burn inside . . . painted/stained wood, excessive amounts of paper/cardboard, pressure treated wood, etc. . . . otherwise in my own world, all species of wood may be cut, split, stacked and shoved into the firebox to keep me warm.

The poplar just gave off so much ash that I don't think i want to deal with the mess again.It would fill up very quickly in the stove and in the morning after a firepit evrything for 20 feet around the pit was covered with ash.I spent a small fortune on a cord of well seasoned yellow birch and found out what real wood burns like.The cabin was WAY hotter the first time I used the birch as I just loaded it up the same as I did with the poplar.Also the area around the firepit was cleaner with less ash and I also did not have to put wood into the pit nearly as often.With the poplar it seemed like I had to put another 4 or 5 pieces on the fire after every beer!

Of the woods that you have listed, I would say that the Ash, Birch and Maple will dry the fastest, then the Apple which may take a little longer. I'm not sure about the Spruce because I have never burned Pine, but it probably will take awhile to season. But the Ash and White Birch will dry the quickest, in my opinion.

Woodsman is right about the Apple, might take until the second year, don't push it. The others should be ok this winter as long as they're getting dry and are covered before the wet season. Personally I think the Green Ash looks the best when burned. It throws the nicest flame and good heat. It doesn't coal up as good as White Ash but when I burn it I find myself staring at the fire it's so pretty with the secondary burns. Kinda like those vids you've seen advertised. Pine, never burned cept for kindling.

andybaker said:
Woodsman is right about the Apple, might take until the second year, don't push it. The others should be ok this winter as long as they're getting dry and are covered before the wet season. Personally I think the Green Ash looks the best when burned. It throws the nicest flame and good heat. It doesn't coal up as good as White Ash but when I burn it I find myself staring at the fire it's so pretty with the secondary burns. Kinda like those vids you've seen advertised. Pine, never burned cept for kindling.
Now thats interesting, I will have to look at the fire next winter to see how the green ash compares to other types of wood Ihave.

okotoks guy said:
firefighterjake said:

The poplar just gave off so much ash that I don't think i want to deal with the mess again.It would fill up very quickly in the stove and in the morning after a firepit evrything for 20 feet around the pit was covered with ash.I spent a small fortune on a cord of well seasoned yellow birch and found out what real wood burns like.The cabin was WAY hotter the first time I used the birch as I just loaded it up the same as I did with the poplar.Also the area around the firepit was cleaner with less ash and I also did not have to put wood into the pit nearly as often.With the poplar it seemed like I had to put another 4 or 5 pieces on the fire after every beer!

Yeah, I hear ya . . . I wouldn't want to really try to generate a whole lot of heat with poplar . . . as mentioned for me it's wood I use in the Spring and Fall when I'm looking for a low heat fire to take the chill or dampness out of the air . . . and for a hardwood it burns like a softwood meaning that you are constantly putting more into the stove.

Yellow birch . . . yee-haw . . . good stuff. I like burning yellow birch. Good wood.

I think all of those woods, except maybe the apple, should be in good shape this winter if you have them drying already and stcked loosely in a nice open spot. Alberta should have fairly low humidity in the air, and with a little wind, the wood should dry nicely during summer and fall. of course all I know about fall weather in Alberta is that Neil Young says it is 'good.' Thanks Neil, real informative. Anyway, the wood might not be perfectly seasoned this fall, but it will be far better than average woodburner fuel. Another year and it would all be really great. I have burned lots of spruce, and I think it seasons reasonably fast, compared to hardwood. one long summer and fall should be enough to produce spruce that burns nicely. As with the other woods, another year and it would be even better, but you'll stay warm this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.