Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On mine, I can get blackening of the glass corners and about 1/3-1/2 way up from the bottom in the middle of the glass on very low overnight burns. However when I restart the fire in the morning I will let burn on a high setting (1100-1300 degrees on the cat thermometer) for 30 minutes or so and that cleans up about 80-85% of the glass. The only thing that remains are a little black buildup in the bottom corners. And I think that is pretty typical for any stove. I have the newest model of this stove and I am getting easily 14+ burn times on mostly soft Norway maple and some oak. I still have plenty of red-hot coals to restart a fire after 24+ hours.

I loved this insert so much I just purchased the F3500 stove for my new extension. The stove burns even better then the insert. Bigger fire box and burns even slower. The flue is much shorter 13 feet compared to 22 feet.

I loved this insert so much I just purchased the F3500 stove for my new extension. The stove burns even better then the insert. Bigger fire box and burns even slower. The flue is much shorter 13 feet compared to 22 feet.
Can you provide any sort of brief review of the performance of the F3500?
I am considering it for a 22ft x 22ft with a cathedral ceiling.
How is it's radiant heat and burn time and would it have enough grunt for such a space?
I say radiant heat as I believe this type of heat is what I need most in a room with such high ceilings..
cheers

The best solution for a cathedral ceiling is to break up the stratification of hot air near the peak. Ceiling fans can help quite a bit.

Can you provide any sort of brief review of the performance of the F3500?
I am considering it for a 22ft x 22ft with a cathedral ceiling.
How is it's radiant heat and burn time and would it have enough grunt for such a space?
I say radiant heat as I believe this type of heat is what I need most in a room with such high ceilings..
cheers
I have the stove in a room that is 19ft by 32ft, the room has a pitched roof 8 1/2 in the front and 11 1/2 in the back with. We finished the room in March and live on Long Island NY so have not had very cold days from when we got the stove. We had one or two mornings temp 28F and warmed up to 40F in the day. I had the stove about 40% full room temp was about 76F and 12 hours later still had hot coals.

I have the stove in a room that is 19ft by 32ft, the room has a pitched roof 8 1/2 in the front and 11 1/2 in the back with. We finished the room in March and live on Long Island NY so have not had very cold days from when we got the stove. We had one or two mornings temp 28F and warmed up to 40F in the day. I had the stove about 40% full room temp was about 76F and 12 hours later still had hot coals.
Good deal. What stove? Can you add this to your signature line?

Hover your mouse over your name in the upper right. Move it down and click on Signature. There you can type in your stove make and model.
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 6.25.49 PM.png

Yup. Looks good.

My first post here after lurking long time.
We just ordered a CI2600. Installing it in three weeks. I had similar frustrations: No reviews, little anecdotal information etc. After a lot of back and forth, we decided to take the plunge. Worst case, let's you and me set up a thread to whine about our problems with the stove. I suspect that won't happen, though. I think the stove will prove to be a winner. We have a ~2,200 sq. ft. Cape in northern Massachusetts. Stove is smack in the middle of an open floor plan. I promise I'll pop back into this thread and share any thoughts I have on the operation/performance of the stove with you.
That crap about the catalytic stoves going out of style is total B.S. As far as the expense of the replacement catalyst, if you look at page 38 of the online manual (http://www.regency-fire.com/Files/Manuals/CI2600-919-300.aspx), you'll see the prorated warranty spelled out pretty clearly. I'm actually more concerned about the refractory bricks holding up.
Good luck with whatever choice you make, and if you pick up the 2600...you won't be alone.

@canospam How has the stove worked out for you?

On thursday morning my dealer and a rep from Regency were at my house. Seems they were curious as to why my burn times were so short. The tech removed the rear knockouts for the outside air kit and inspected the install. There were no issues with my install or quality of wood. He checked out my woodpile as well.
He stated that it's getting too much air. We started a fire and it's clear when it's going that there is way too much air going in. It sounds like a jet as its burning.
He adjusted the door and told me to monitor it.
I'm still not getting more than 6-8hrs of heat. Not fire. Heat.
I'm now waiting for a reducer plate from the company to slow down the secondary air which I'm told will fix the problem. I hope so because this current setup is eating up my wood supply fast.
I'll let you know the results.

Can you (or anyone else here) confirm that there definitely is an outside air kit option?

I'm coming close to the end of a long ordeal, and planning to install a CI2600. Originally the guys who will be installing it told me I need the outside air kit because my house has had extensive weatherization work. They worried about getting a good draft "if the insert is battling appliances, fans, etc." However, they just notified me that they were wrong and Regency doesn't have an outside air kit for the CI2600, and now they say I'll be fine without it after all.

I'm trying to figure out if there actually is an outside air kit, or if I need to look at a different insert, or...?

How odd, that would prevent it from being sold in WA state. Sounds like a call to Regency is definitely in order.

The blower is optional on the CI2600, right? Does that mean the appearance will be different if I get the blower than without? Or does it fit behind the surround either way, with no change in appearance?

Also, how easy is it to get/replace the cat on my own? I just read about the fact that this thing isn't a very strong hybrid since, without the cat present/engaged, there is no secondary burn. Now I have visions of the cat wearing out years down the road and my not being able to find a new cat to buy and/or anyone to service it. I know that's a serious worst case scenario, but I hope to own this thing for decades, and I'd feel pretty stupid if I went through all this trouble and money just to end up with basically a 1970's wood stove with a fancy faceplate...

The blower is hidden by the bottom fascia. Could have sworn this insert has a secondary tube in it.

The blower is hidden by the bottom fascia. Could have sworn this insert has a secondary tube in it.

You're the one who said it doesn't. :)

With the bypass open the insert would be functioning like a stove out of the 1970s, very inefficient. Regency has made improvements that should remove catalyst worries. AFAIK you can not order this model without the catalyst. Perhaps look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale, Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 or Osburn Matrix for non-cat options.
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/store/wood-products/wood-inserts/clydesdale-wood-insert
http://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/contemporary-inserts/neo-25-insert/
http://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/heaters/matrix-wood-insert

Then the guy said he called Regency and verified:

I spoke with technical services at Regency this afternoon. They said that the CI2600 will run like a poor efficiency wood stove [if run in cat-bypass mode] in that the emissions do not get reburned at all. This unit does not have a secondary burn stage (aside from the catalytic unit) like the non-cat stoves do. This may put an end to our CI2600 endevours.

There is a model of the Osburn Matrix which has symmetrical faceplate panels, it is the Enerzone Destination 2.3, however they took some of the flushness away from the faceplate which my wife does not approve of. http://www.enerzone-intl.com/en/heaters/destination-23-i-wood-insert

I urged Regency to modularize their CI2600 design so that the cat. unit could be replaced with a conventional secondary reburn cartridge.

My concerns with the cat. unit are as follows:
1) High cost of replacement. If I live another 50 years with this stove as the primary heat source, that is, say, 5-15 replacement units will be required. Does that justify an extra 8% in efficiency compared to a non-cat stove?
2) If Regency goes under and cat replacement units are no longer available.
3) The cat. unit fails during winter and what if a) I cannot afford the replacement at such time, e.g. perhaps I am retired on fixed income, b) the time to obtain the replacement is excessively long, c) Regency is out of stock. If any of these apply, the $250/month cost to heat by electricity adds to the overall ownership cost of this stove.

Regency has made improvements that should remove catalyst worries. AFAIK you can not order this model without the catalyst. Perhaps look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale, Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 or Osburn Matrix for non-cat options.
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/store/wood-products/wood-inserts/clydesdale-wood-insert
http://www.pacificenergy.net/products/wood/contemporary-inserts/neo-25-insert/
http://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/heaters/matrix-wood-insert[/QUOTE]

Now, people went on to point out that Condar, not Regency make the cat. Some others said that you can get the cat from non-Condar sources but didn't mention specifics. Still others said that cats will get more and more common, and you'll soon be able to get cat replacements very easily, but wouldn't that only help if this was a cat that is modular and used by many different inserts? I thought the CI2600 cat was specific to the CI2600 only, although I could be wrong.

Anyway, when I Google the exact part number/name listed for the cat in the manual, I'm not finding any for sale online. Can someone show me exactly where I can easily get the cat myself?

You're the one who said it doesn't. :)

Then the guy said he called Regency and verified:

Go back and review the full thread. We were all learning about the insert. It doesn't have a full rack of secondary tubes, but does have a secondary burn tube and it is a hybrid.

Go back and review the full thread. We were all learning about the insert. It doesn't have a full rack of secondary tubes, but does have a secondary burn tube and it is a hybrid.

Okay. So, he was given wrong info from Regency? I guess I'm not too surprised...

Any thoughts on the cat replacement questions, or is that in there too?

Okay. So, he was given wrong info from Regency? I guess I'm not too surprised...

Any thoughts on the cat replacement questions, or is that in there too?
If the bypass opens up the flue to the firebox then it would bypass both the secondary burn tube and the catalyst. If that is the case the Regency rep is correct.
Condar does not list any Regency catalyst replacements. The dealer should be able to provide this.

Question from a New Newbie.

First let me say, I love this thread and thanks for all those folks who have given some great advice on the
Regency inserts particularly the C12600. I was ready to pull the trigger on this stove but after looking at so many reviews on line that were negative I was shocked. This is the only stove my wife likes because of the stream lined looks but mine because of advertised performance. You guys have made me significantly more comfortable when looking to buy this stove.

I do have a few questions though so if some of you folks don't mind replying I'd appreciate it. Some of these questions and answers are probably best answered by the manufacturer but I'd like the comments from some folks who own the stove.

1. One of the issues that i found on the internet was that it was almost impossible to get support technical or otherwise from Regency. There are a few posts that I've seen where folks have mentioned they've had regular comment from Regency Tech support. Simply put in your experience does Regency provide good customer support and are they easy to reach with questions and do they have an easy and open avenue of support with customers when needed ?

2. One issue I have is that I have a corner fireplace I"m uploading a file for you to see. I was told that I can have the short side bricked so that an insert can be installed. Is anyone here familiar with doing this and if so were there any problems or issues ?
Fire Place.jpg

3. Blower. Does anyone have the blower attachment ? Is it noisy? Can the directions be adjusted ? Do you recommend it ? Any issues with the blower ? Does anyone know how long is the blower system expected to operate ?

4. Temperature. From having a wood/coal stove about 100 years ago I already know that the room with my insert will be hotter than what is probably comfortable. But with this insert is there some way to modulate the heat output ? Can you control temperature ? How is temperature adjusted ?

5. How do you clean out the insert ? Is there an ash drawer ? Is it easy to clean? How and how often do you clean it?

6. Are there any other factors that I need to consider ?

Folks thank you very much in advance for your insights. I know that some of my questions maybe better answered by the manufacturer but any insights you may have would be valuable.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Question from a New Newbie.

First let me say, I love this thread and thanks for all those folks who have given some great advice on the
Regency inserts particularly the C12600. I was ready to pull the trigger on this stove but after looking at so many reviews on line that were negative I was shocked. This is the only stove my wife likes because of the stream lined looks but mine because of advertised performance. You guys have made me significantly more comfortable when looking to buy this stove.

I do have a few questions though so if some of you folks don't mind replying I'd appreciate it. Some of these questions and answers are probably best answered by the manufacturer but I'd like the comments from some folks who own the stove.

1. One of the issues that i found on the internet was that it was almost impossible to get support technical or otherwise from Regency. There are a few posts that I've seen where folks have mentioned they've had regular comment from Regency Tech support. Simply put in your experience does Regency provide good customer support and are they easy to reach with questions and do they have an easy and open avenue of support with customers when needed ?

2. One issue I have is that I have a corner fireplace I"m uploading a file for you to see. I was told that I can have the short side bricked so that an insert can be installed. Is anyone here familiar with doing this and if so were there any problems or issues ?View attachment 184071

3. Blower. Does anyone have the blower attachment ? Is it noisy? Can the directions be adjusted ? Do you recommend it ? Any issues with the blower ? Does anyone know how long is the blower system expected to operate ?

4. Temperature. From having a wood/coal stove about 100 years ago I already know that the room with my insert will be hotter than what is probably comfortable. But with this insert is there some way to modulate the heat output ? Can you control temperature ? How is temperature adjusted ?

5. How do you clean out the insert ? Is there an ash drawer ? Is it easy to clean? How and how often do you clean it?

6. Are there any other factors that I need to consider ?

Folks thank you very much in advance for your insights. I know that some of my questions maybe better answered by the manufacturer but any insights you may have would be valuable.

Thanks

Hey, I'm also in Westchester...

Anyway, in response to your questions:

1. Regency has been pretty responsive. I bought the first generation of this stove that didn't have the restrictor plate (I understand all the new ones come with the restrictor plate). They were pretty good about answering my questions and helping out with my initial performance problems. They did require that the request for the restrictor plate come through the dealer. (BTW, who is your dealer? I've had a good experience with Westchester Fireplace.)

2. No experience with a corner fireplace but it makes sense that you could just brick up one side.

3. You need the blower, it isn't really an option. Without the blower, you aren't going to get much heat at all from this. I really like the blower, it is very quiet on low and somewhat loud on high. I generally leave it on low but will kick it up to high if I really need to pump out heat. I've burned this stove for two seasons and haven't had any issues with the blower.

4. You can control heat output by adjusting the air intake or the blower speed, or both. I would say this stove is pretty responsive and wouldn't worry about things getting too hot as you can always crack a window.

5. There is no ash drawer. If you are burning good wood you shouldn't have to clean it out very often. I sweep the ash out every few days while in the burning season. Just rake the coals to one side and shovel out the ashes. Not very difficult.

6. In order for this stove to function properly you really need the catalytic probe. This is a hybrid stove which means it has a secondary burn tube as well as a catalyst. To get the best performance, you need to know when to "engage" the catalyst and there's no good way of knowing without the probe. Probe isn't too expensive but don't forget to ask about it.

You also really need seasoned wood for this stove. My first year I had not quite seasoned oak and it was kind of frustrating. My second year I had more seasoned sassafras and other lesser woods but it burned better because it was actually seasoned. If you don't have wood already seasoned now, get ready for a trying first year of burning. It will get better as you get better seasoned wood.

Finally, you will have trouble getting the advertised burn times out of this stove, even with ideal conditions. There's a big difference between "burn time" and actually producing heat. I've found I can reliably go 8 hours between reloading while creating actual useful heat. If I let it go longer then there are still coals in the stove when I load up (12 or 14 hours, for instance), so it does have a long burn time but for the last few hours on the super long, low burn, it's not putting out much heat.

All that said, it is a very pretty stove, and puts out serious heat when operated correctly. There is a learning curve but overall, I'm happy with it.

Hey, I'm also in Westchester...

Anyway, in response to your questions:

1. Regency has been pretty responsive. I bought the first generation of this stove that didn't have the restrictor plate (I understand all the new ones come with the restrictor plate). They were pretty good about answering my questions and helping out with my initial performance problems. They did require that the request for the restrictor plate come through the dealer. (BTW, who is your dealer? I've had a good experience with Westchester Fireplace.)

2. No experience with a corner fireplace but it makes sense that you could just brick up one side.

3. You need the blower, it isn't really an option. Without the blower, you aren't going to get much heat at all from this. I really like the blower, it is very quiet on low and somewhat loud on high. I generally leave it on low but will kick it up to high if I really need to pump out heat. I've burned this stove for two seasons and haven't had any issues with the blower.

4. You can control heat output by adjusting the air intake or the blower speed, or both. I would say this stove is pretty responsive and wouldn't worry about things getting too hot as you can always crack a window.

5. There is no ash drawer. If you are burning good wood you shouldn't have to clean it out very often. I sweep the ash out every few days while in the burning season. Just rake the coals to one side and shovel out the ashes. Not very difficult.

6. In order for this stove to function properly you really need the catalytic probe. This is a hybrid stove which means it has a secondary burn tube as well as a catalyst. To get the best performance, you need to know when to "engage" the catalyst and there's no good way of knowing without the probe. Probe isn't too expensive but don't forget to ask about it.

You also really need seasoned wood for this stove. My first year I had not quite seasoned oak and it was kind of frustrating. My second year I had more seasoned sassafras and other lesser woods but it burned better because it was actually seasoned. If you don't have wood already seasoned now, get ready for a trying first year of burning. It will get better as you get better seasoned wood.

Finally, you will have trouble getting the advertised burn times out of this stove, even with ideal conditions. There's a big difference between "burn time" and actually producing heat. I've found I can reliably go 8 hours between reloading while creating actual useful heat. If I let it go longer then there are still coals in the stove when I load up (12 or 14 hours, for instance), so it does have a long burn time but for the last few hours on the super long, low burn, it's not putting out much heat.

All that said, it is a very pretty stove, and puts out serious heat when operated correctly. There is a learning curve but overall, I'm happy with it.

Hey Thanks so much for your reply. We're neighbors I'm in Ardsley.

I'm glad Regency is responsive and stands by their products. I had Westchester Fire place out they are the ones that suggested this stove, but I hate to say there are some negative responses about them on line, but due to your experience with them I'll talk to them.

Getting the blower makes sense and I know I'm going to have a HUGE learning curve with the catalytic convertor. Interestingly you talk about the quality of the wood I buy. Sounds like that makes a huge difference. Can you recommend a good wood guy ?

I appreciate the time you took with your response I appreciate it. I'll let you know and or post here as I continue with the process.

Thank you

Wow, this is a pretty long thread. I am still reading through it and am hesitant to pull the trigger and buy this insert. Can anyone that has this stove make a short synopisis? For example, it appears the wood needs to be seasoned or the unit is finicky. You really need to learn how to use the cat. There were some initial issues with the stove and a backing plate or similar was added and made an improvement. Is there anything else? Would you buy this stove again or is this a finicky pain in the butt and I should just look for something different? I like the look of it and it fits. It also claims to put out decent heat for a flush mount. I just don't want to buy something that is going to be a headache, but I also want a flush mount. Thoughts? Thanks.

Any modern EPA stove, cat or not, is going to need fully seasoned wood to burn at its optimum.

Wow, this is a pretty long thread. I am still reading through it and am hesitant to pull the trigger and buy this insert. Can anyone that has this stove make a short synopisis? For example, it appears the wood needs to be seasoned or the unit is finicky. You really need to learn how to use the cat. There were some initial issues with the stove and a backing plate or similar was added and made an improvement. Is there anything else? Would you buy this stove again or is this a finicky pain in the butt and I should just look for something different? I like the look of it and it fits. It also claims to put out decent heat for a flush mount. I just don't want to buy something that is going to be a headache, but I also want a flush mount. Thoughts? Thanks.
I've learned to love mine. Being a flushmount, you don't get the same intense radiant heat as other inserts that stick out more. But it does provide long burn times and it looks great. I'd probably buy it again but I also see that Blaze King just came out with a more modern looking insert. I'd want to check that out too if I were in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.