After 6 years, my Ecoteck Elena auger motor needed a little love...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pelleting In NJ

Minister of Fire
Sep 26, 2011
Central NJ
My 6th year with my Ecoteck Elena......today I hear a bearing squeal.......auger motor sounds bad.....Took about 10 minutes to remove the motor.....4mm allen key on the shaft coupling....ran it on the bench with 110VAC...motor bearings are squeeling......a few drops of Mobil 1 0W-40 and it's as good as new. My spare auger motor can stay in its box.

Reactions: rich2500
Figure that will hold the bearings a while? You got me nervous now ... we bought our stove around the same time_g

After re-lubing it, it will probably go another 6 years...It may not be a bad idea for you to pull your auger motor out and preemptively lube it with synthetic motor oil. I think in the spring I will pull the combustion and room fan motors, to oil them too. The auger motor is just a sleeve bearing, and it probably needs fresh oil earlier than the ball bearing motors used for the combustion and room blowers.

Just adding the info about the auger motor and replacement options:

The original motor in my stove was made by Merkle Korff, part number = B4415UP. I actually measured its RPM, when the stove was new, because it did not have that info on the label. I measured it at 2.4RPM, clockwise when observing the output shaft of the motor.

Last year, I ordered a back-up motor from Woodmans Parts Plus, price $142, they called it “pn=55211” The part is made by Mellor Electrics Ltd (England), and has a Ravelli label “115V 60 hz 2RPM, Job# 15599, Mellor Electrics FB1256”. It runs at 2RPM, also clockwise.

So, I don’t think that is 100% the correct motor, 2RPM is 20% slower than 2.4RPM, so it could still be used if the auger parameter settings (PR6 thru PR10 "Screw Duration") of the stove are each increased by 20%. No big deal, so I kept the new motor.

However, on Ebay, there are 2.4RPM clockwise motors for sale, with the same output shaft. They are used in Englander Stoves, motor part number = CU-047042, and are sold for $128 ($118+$10 S&H). Search Ebay for “2 .4 RPM ENGLANDER STOVE AUGER MOTOR - CU-047042 NEW - VERY QUIET”

I think this is the more correct motor for my stove (Ecoteck/Ravelli may have made a motor change in production, with a corresponding 20% tweek to the auger parameters)

Reactions: Lake Girl
Today my Ceremica 80 (6 years old) will not feed pellets, no turns of the auger on ignition phase.

I did buy the replacement motor part from Woodmans' about a year ago, have it on the bench. At the time the motor seemed finicky so I bought one for good measure, same as the one described above.

Only problem is, after removing the allen nut from the ring the old motor will not drop out!! Perhaps it needs a little persuasion.

EDIT: pried out with a little 1x2 wooden stick. New one goes right in. Factory even thought to orient the shaft correctly. So nice when things go right for once. :)

Feeds so much quieter, cannot even hear it with the skins on.

Last edited:
If you bothered to clean and oil it every spring, you'd not need a replacement.

Don't worry, if you are lax in taking care of it, more stuff will fail.

Actually last year I did take it out and got another year out of it by cleaning which prompted me to buy the backup part.

Can't afford the professionals so I take care of these things (a Harman and a Ravelli) as best I know how. The Ravelli is much more finicky and getting very difficult to find parts for.

Itallians are ALL finicky in my opinion. I do like Itallian food however. Seems to be a lot of Itallian stove owners on here with issues, or is that my imagination.

Far as having my appliances looked at by a 'professional'. I can well afford it but I prefer doing everything myself.

Besides, my cats don't like strangers and may bite them...

Far as age goes, my stove is going on 20 this year. Hums right along. Humming now as a matter of fact.

Reactions: Washed-Up