Afton Bay #2 still blinking after cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
I posted a few days ago about the number 2 light going on my stove and smoke filling my house. this happened before the room blow it even came on and that is why my house filled with smoke. I checked the vacuum switch which was working ( clicked when sucked on tube) cleaned out the hidden Ash places but not much Ash was in there ( really good cleaning in January last year) changed the door rope gasket. So now my stove goes through the startup and when the room blower comes on it seems to be really slow and then after a minute or two the number #2 light comes on again. the room blower is on so when I press the on button again to go to the whole light up process the room blower comes on really strong and everything's fine and the stove works great until the next time I go to start it up and it starts all over again. It's very hard for me to get behind the stove where that room blower is but do you think that could be the problem? Should I attempt to get in there and clean it out even though my maintenance guy came last year doing the deep clean and pulled it out and cleaned it and everything. It's a fairly new room blower maybe a couple years old. The stove is like 12 to 14 years old so I'm helping finish out this season without putting a lot of money into it so that we can get our Harman p43.

I posted a few days ago about the number 2 light going on my stove and smoke filling my house. this happened before the room blow it even came on and that is why my house filled with smoke. I checked the vacuum switch which was working ( clicked when sucked on tube) cleaned out the hidden Ash places but not much Ash was in there ( really good cleaning in January last year) changed the door rope gasket. So now my stove goes through the startup and when the room blower comes on it seems to be really slow and then after a minute or two the number #2 light comes on again. the room blower is on so when I press the on button again to go to the whole light up process the room blower comes on really strong and everything's fine and the stove works great until the next time I go to start it up and it starts all over again. It's very hard for me to get behind the stove where that room blower is but do you think that could be the problem? Should I attempt to get in there and clean it out even though my maintenance guy came last year doing the deep clean and pulled it out and cleaned it and everything. It's a fairly new room blower maybe a couple years old. The stove is like 12 to 14 years old so I'm helping finish out this season without putting a lot of money into it so that we can get our Harman p43.

AFAIK, the room blower has nothing to do with the #2 light. As you know, the #2 light is caused by insufficient vacuum in the burn chamber. I think that your problem is either that the combustion blower is running too slow, is clogged (is the fan itself clean?) or the exhaust passage (including vent piping) is clogged. Make sure that the nipple that the vacuum hose attaches to, at the stove end, is not clogged. Part of the stove cleaning is removing the combustion blower and cleaning the fan blades and the blower housing.
You could also unplug the stove for a few minutes to reset the control, if you haven't done that already. I assume that you have cleaned out both ash traps, and the passages to them. Also, the area behind the rear wall has to be cleaned. Some folks use a drill and wire to clean back there. I remove the upper baffle, and use the scraper tool to clean that area, being very careful not to drop the tool in there. You have to move the scraper forward a few inches to get in there. I put a rag over the rod you pull it out with, so as to not stick myself with it.

Would the combustion blower being dirty cause the room blower to turn on slow? The combustion blower was replaced last year during that cleaning. I did clean those Ash traps with a bottle brush ( not much Ash came out as he did it during that big cleaning. I will clean the fan with compressed air and the tubing again. Thanks for the reply.

Debi

I don't think so. The two motors operate independently. It sounds like your problem is the slow-starting combustion blower. You may want to check the wiring for the combustion motor, especially on the back wall of the cabinet where all the neutrals are connected as well as the hot wire going to the motor. There may be a loose or bad connection there.

I suspect the motor itself at this point. Do you still have the old one you could swap back in?

Have you unplugged the stove for a while?

So the combustion blower is fine. Spins really well doesn't slow down at all. I cleaned the room blower which I don't understand how it was so dirty as I watched him pull it out to clean it. Any way that didn't help it's still doing the same thing. I have one more thing to try which is the ash pan door gasket which is pretty beat up that I'm going to replace tomorrow and see if that helps. What I don't understand is when I light it it goes through the normal light up process and then the room blower comes on and spinss slow ( you can hear it kind of struggling) and then the number 2 light comes on blinking. once I press the on-off button again right away to restart the room blower blows out just fine and everything is fine until the next time I restart it.... Makes no sense.